VMware Horizon Community
LittleDeveloper
Contributor
Contributor

What licenses needed to use Horizon Agent Direct-Connection with Horizon Client?

Hello,

We need to set up an environment which provides virtual hosts with a solid GPU support (vGPU, OpenGL, OpenCL). Our environment is unlike a typical VDI scenario - it is more like a lab (different domains, systems, installed products, etc.) than an enterprise where all users get same desktop from the host pool. Almost every machine is different and crafted for a specific user needs or specific purpose. Therefore we think that most of Horizon products do not fit our needs. Yet, we need virtual hosts with a reasonable GPU support.

The scenario which looks promising for us is to have the Horizon Agent + Horizon Agent Direct-Connection Plugin (+ nVidia DWS License & nVidia drivers) installed on virtual hosts and use the Horizon Client to directly access desktops of these hosts. As you can see it is just a fraction of functionality here when compared to a full Horizon package.

Do we need to buy a full Horizon package here? What is a minimum set of products/licenses that we need from VMware to support our scenario?

Marek.

3 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Look at

Horizon View Direct Connect Agent and Licensing.

I'm pretty sure it still applies. Regardless if you use the connection server or not you need to license based on the concurrent usage model. I'd recommend asking a local var or vmware rep directly though, as I don't work for vmware, and getting it directly from them and not through a forum like this is probably best. A vmware employee did reply in that attached link, but who you would by the licenses from directly to confirm.

LittleDeveloper
Contributor
Contributor

I had read that topic before I decided to create my own. The information that can be found there is not sufficient (or I'm not seeing it) to provide a straightforward and clear answer to my original question.

I'd appreciate if there is someone willing to share thoughts about optimal purchase scenario to meet my requirements.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You really should contact VMware directly, or a local var for licensing questioning like this, forums aren't legally binding so you need to get that information from a verifable source. That said, why wouldn't it be concurrent users, any remote connection licenses are generally named or concurrent, and since they wouldn't be able to track named usuage with the direct connect agent, it would have to be concurrent.

0 Kudos