VMware Horizon Community
RobinPlomp01
Contributor
Contributor

What is the best practice to deliver persistent VDI's via VMware Horizon

Hi,

I'm having issues with what should be a simple task. I want to use either instant clones, or full machine VM, what is the VMware best practice for delivering Persistent VDI's in Horizon.

Is there a guide?

Regards,

Robin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wuhlig
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Dedicated instant clones with DEM or FSlogix, or a Combination of both (FSLogix Office Container and DEM for everything else) to capture the profile.  So when the desktop is destroyed and recreated it'll save their settings and such.

Dedicated IC will give them a desktop with the Computer Name, MAC and IP address, but if this isn't needed then just do a floating pool of instant clones with DEM or FSlogix and bake all the apps inside it.  You can if you want then add in App Layering with AppVolumes if for those group only apps.

If you do do dedicated IC then it must be on distributed switches in I feel fixed mode.

Here is a little bit about the FSlogix and DEM combination:

Integrating FSLogix Profile Containers with the VMware Horizon Just-in-Time Management Platform (JMP...

All horizon best practices can be found on Techzone.vmware.com: Horizon | Resource | VMware

RobinPlomp01
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I understand the solution you describe. The uses is a development team that need to be able to install applications them self. So I created a full machine pool made the assignment dedicated, but that did not made the VDI persistent. Can I make a full machine pool persistent?

0 Kudos
wuhlig
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you just want a bunch for desktops out there you could also just do a Manual pool of VMs you've cloned off in side of vCenter and add them to a manual pool.

0 Kudos