VMware Horizon Community
pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

What is the advantage of VMware View over VMs on ESX

We have several ESX 3.5 hosts with 32gb RAM dual quad core CPUs supported by EMC SAN storage. We have an upcoming project to create a standalone LAN for our Emergency Management Office. They will have 50 workstations and are thinking "virtual".

Here is the question: Considering their requirements, is there really a benefit for them going Vmware View (formerly VDI, I hear) vs just creating the desktops as VMs on our ESX hosts?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

You could save space on your SAN using the linked cloning options. Also you can update the parent VM 1 time with a patch, application, etc. instead of pushing to 50 machines. Not sure that those are benefits for your situation or not.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to what jayolsen has posted you also get the advantage of a connection broker. A View connection broker gives you the ability to create pools, a universal print driver, and the ability to manage the way users connect to the VM's.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Adminafterwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

there can be many benefits from using View. . -you will need to post more exactly their requirements for their dekstops,,..

-automated provisioning, central OS maintaining through parental images etc can make your life much easier ! :smileysilly:

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I agree with everyone else, along with what Jay and Tim said, you get the features of USB redirection from within the broker. For 50 workstations, I think it would benefit you to have a broker like View. Just think when all 50 go well, management will want more. Trying to keep track of that many through vCenter can become an administration headache.

http://www.vmware.com/products/view/

pearlyshells
Contributor
Contributor

WOW>>>>>>>>>>

Many good points that I had not thought of. Appreciate all the inputs for everyone. It certainly appears that we might be better served with View

Thanks again all

0 Kudos