VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

What in Horizon can DISABLE Windows Search Feature??

I've had two of my 10 Horizon pools working perfectly for a long time and now all of the sudden the Windows search feature no longer works.  When you click the Windows Start button then just type what you want, that feature no longer works.  I've tried new Images, new pools, new Master Images, and still no luck.  The master image works fine before shutdown and the snapshot is taken.  Once the image is pushed out to a pool the search feature no longer works.  All services are running and working, I have UEM and App Vol on one pool and even uninstalled them to see if they were the issue with no luck.  No GPO's are causing this since i put the users and computer in a seperate OU to test.  I am running out of ideas so if anyone has any ideas i am all ears.  Any help is appreciated.  thanks

Perry

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Anobix67
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you running the optimizer fling before hand? I've found that if you disable cortana it can break search.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

"No GPO's are causing this since i put the users and computer in a separate OU to test." Are the users and computers both in test OUs. Your users gpos can apply to the computers unless you modify the gpo loop back policy.  I doubt the optimization tool causes this, because if it works right before you do the snapshot, then the tool has already done what it needs.What happens when you type, is it nothing at all, or does no results found. I've seen a problems sometimes where clicking on start and typing re really delayed after cloning for some reason, but I haven't found the cause.

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Like i mentioned n the original post they have been running great for a while and all of the sudden it stopped working.  These desktops have been optimized a long time ago so nothing has changed.  The odd thing is that they are two different images on 2 different domains.

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Nothing at all happens.  no response.  I tried users and computer in same OU, tried them in separate OU's, no luck

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I think this is different then search, because if the search service is disabled, you would still get something there. The only way I fixed mine was creating an image from the beginning following

Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware

Another thing I'd try is this if you haven't already, the below comes up in a general search for "cannot type in search box". I'd it both in the clone and parent iamge. I can't remember but I think some of this gets stored in the users profile.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Tried this with no luck. 

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Are you using mandatory profiles? I ran into this today working on our parent image. If I deployed the desktop without applying the mandatory profile the start button took forever to open and I couldn't type. I then made sure the mandatory profile was added and re-deplyoed and it is now working correctly. If your not using mandatory profile try in your parent image and create a test user and see if it happens there. If it does you may want to determine whats causing it and then update the default profile.

0 Kudos
jlenag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you using AppVolumes by chance?  We just found an issue where the Windows Search service was getting disabled after we did an upgrade to AppVolumes.  Turns out we believe there is a bug in AV 2.14.2 where provisioning an appstack with that version will cause the Windows Search service to be disabled on any desktops that get the aforementioned appstack.

We have a workaround of simply making sure the service is set to Automatic (Delayed Start) before we finish provisioning.  We also currently have a support ticket in as well.

Not sure if this applies, but thought i would mention it since it seems to be a similar issue.

0 Kudos
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

We are using APPVOL on one domain but not the other so i'm not sure if this is affecting me.  However i did just upgrade to 2.14.2.  The other domain we just had UEM on it but that was not even functional yet.  I am almost out of hair to pull out.  Any other thoughts?

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos