VMware Horizon Community
itsk201110141
Contributor
Contributor

What do we need?

Hi Forum,

i have a question about the vm Products we need.

The situation:

1 Server and 20 Zeroclients  (Hardware)

We will virtualize

1 Windows sbs 2011

20 Windows 7

So what we need now?

Thanks for an answare.

Markus

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

What is your use case?  Initially, I would say you should look at VMware View

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Communities

You will need a hardware platform to host ESXi. You will need to decide on some level of VMware software to manage the the virtual machines. I would suggest that you find a local hardware vendor with VMware experience to help you make the assessment. HP Dell, IBM, etc also sell VMware software so you can start there to see what is available although sizing and selecting appropriate server hardware and storage will require some understanding of your individual needs.

You can consult the VMware hardware compatibilyt list http://vmware.com/go/hcl

I would strongly suggest that you have a look at VMware View. http://vmware.com/go/view

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
itsk201110141
Contributor
Contributor

we are not sure about the lizences we need...

One the Zeroclients(Zero Client DZ22-2) is VMWare View.

Can we do this with the VMware vSphere Hypervisor...

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

according the the website you linked, yes.

Fujitsu Zero Client DZ22-2

Maximum savings, Maximum flexibility

The Zero Client DZ22-2 is a  revolutionary new way of supplying IT to your office. Fujitsu´s Zero  Client DZ22-2 supports all three leading hypervisors, including VMware®  ESX(i)
0 Kudos
itsk201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Which VMWare View Licence we need on the server side.. (VMWare View Manager VMWare View Composer)

thanks for the anwsers...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You would need to use VMware View to use that device.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I've moved your discussion from VMware vSphere Hypervisor to VMware View™ (with View Manager) for better exposure.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

There are starter packages that include all the items required including the management tools. You would need to add addtional desktop licenses.

\http://store.vmware.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=vmware&id=ProductDetai...

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

If you want to use features like View composer, Thin app and local mode desktops then you should consider the View Premier license.

0 Kudos
itsk201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks,

thanks a lot for the answers, i think i can explain the problem we have a little bit better now...

In the VMware View 4.5 Pricing, Packaging & Licensing document we read this:

"For mixed Server & Desktop environments, must buy a la card"

here we are thats our problem...

i think and hope that is right, we need:

vSphere Essentials

and then

VMware View Premier-Add-On's

best regards and thanks a lot again,

Markus

0 Kudos
joshsinclair
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In most cases it makes the most sense to get View Premier.  You can buy licenses in packs of 10.  You buy a starter pack first, and then add 10 packs (or 100 packs) as needed.  Also when you buy the starter pack you get a license for "as much vSphere as it takes to run your desktop environment" which includes ESX, and vCenter licenses.

You do not need to buy vSphere Essentials if you are only going to be running View on that server(s).  This includes anything that is needed to support those virtual desktops including domain controllers, SQL Servers, PCoIP Security Gatways, etc.  This does not include services however, like Exchange or Sharepoint for example.  If you were going to run Exchange you would have to buy a seperate vSphere license for those servers, in which case it might be more beneficial to get the View Premier add-on.

I would check with your local VMware sales rep for the current interpretation of where Windows 2008 SBS would fall since technically it is multiple services bundled into one server that is being used to support those Virtual Desktops.

0 Kudos