VMware Horizon Community
jborrasproa
Contributor
Contributor

Webcamera not working in horizon desktops

Hi,

we currently have an on-premise horizon plattaform running on version 7.11.

The desktops are delivered via instant clones.

The main problem we have is the web camera is showing black and this is important for us because all users are using Microsoft Teams and working remotely.

We tried with several devices (laptops, mobile phones...) and the result is always the same...  the camera is detected but not showing.

Tested with differente horizon client software versions, last 5.4.3 to 5.3.0

any advices or recomendations for check?

2.PNG

1.PNG

Thank you in advance!

Juan

0 Kudos
11 Replies
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jborrasproa

Do you use writable volumes?

If you do a disconnect and reconnect of that same desktop session, does the camera work?

0 Kudos
jborrasproa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi VDINinja311

yes, we use writable volumes.

If a user disconnects, the session is still available for 180 minutes, I tried to disconnect and connect again to the same desktop but the result is the same.

Best regards

Juan

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jborrasproa

The reason I mention both the disconnect/reconnect and writables volumes is we are seeing the same type of behaviors in MS Teams and cameras. For some users it is displaying the black screen like you are describing.

We are having several issues, one is that the Horizon client is showing "USB Unavailable". VMware gave us a workaround for that (the registry key basically just bypasses all Horizon Smart Policies and enables USB redirection). Helped us with that issue.

We are seeing that if the user disconnects and reconnects that the camera works again (I believe this was the same USB redirection issue and the registry key they gave us helped with that).

We also saw that if you deleted the users writable volume, it would also fix the black screen issue for a period of time (Seems like weeks if not months, unknown on timeframe), but we are thinking something in the writable volume is getting captured which is causing the issue.

Have you deleted the writable volume for a user to see if that helps temporarily?

0 Kudos
HPU-ADM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It looks like to me you have RTAV installed with vmware tools.  That's a good thing.  So with RTAV, you do NOT want to have your usb device connected with USB redirection.Configuring Real-Time Audio-Video

0 Kudos
jborrasproa
Contributor
Contributor

VDINinja311

Hi,

I did some tests with the writable volumes and the result is the same.

test 1:

1- delete user writable.

2- login in a new desktop and test camera, black screen

test 2:

1- Create a new user with a recently created writable

2- Login in a new desktop, black screen

test 3:

1- Login with user without writable configured.

2- Login in a new desktop, black screen

test 4:

1- Disable UEM policies for specific user

2- Disable writable

3- Login in a new desktop, black screen.

I'm using a hp laptop for tests, I always I can see a camera called vmware virtual vdi camera

and if I connect the usb redirection for my hp camera I see one more called hp hd camera

What key registry did you changed? Maybe I can try to investigate...

Best regards,

Juan

0 Kudos
jborrasproa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi  HPU-ADM

I tried to install a vmware horizon client without usb redirection and the result was the same.

BR

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, this sounds like a different issue than the one we are seeing based on your troubleshooting.

The registry key was to help with  "USB Unavailable" coming up in the USB redirection list. Doesn't look like you are having that issue.

0 Kudos
ofox
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

jborrasproa

Regarding webcam for Teams there're a couple of options.

1. USB redirection, just as the picture you were showing here. It requires such significant network bandwidth that it is often not a practical solution for WAN alike evironment.

2. RTAV, just as mentioned by HPU-ADM​ And it's a general solution for webcam used in UC apps(Zoom, Webex, SfB, Teams etc.), and it should work out of box but it has some requirements on HW resources of client machine.

3. Teams optimazation pack(or similar feature name). It's a enhanced solution particular for Teams.

Depending on your Horizon version you are recommended to start with #3. You could also test #2 if you want, but not #1.

0 Kudos
jesseboehm214
Contributor
Contributor

Hi VDINinja311

We are having the exact issue you mentioned. Do you have any information about the registry key you implemented to resolve the USB Unavailable issue?

Thanks

Jesse

0 Kudos
VDINinja311
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jesseboehm214

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Agent\USB]

"UemFlags"=dword:00000101

This was what was provided by VMware Support to "fix" the USB Unavailable message for USB redirection.

0 Kudos
Hoodsie2018
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDINinja311​ I don't see that key on my laptop, or vdi vm or connection server. do I have to add USB key and then that dword? And on which device? I see USB Unavailable in my client. I cannot get my android phone to show up in the instant clone VM. I have installed the adb usb drivers.

0 Kudos