VMware Horizon Community
terranaut
Contributor
Contributor

Wake-on-Lan for PCoIP-Hosts via View Horizin Connection Server does not work?!

I recently installed severals Workstations with PCoIP Card for maximum graphics performance. Wake-On-Lan on Host-NIC is enabled and works (tested!). Also the PCoIP Host Adapter Card (Tera2-Generation) is plugged in and internally connected to enable "Remote Power Button" - this also works (tested!).

A Zero Client configured for "Direct Connection" succesfully powers on the PCoIP, but.....if i configure Zero Client to manage Logins via VMWare Horizon View 5.3 Connection Server - the powered off PCoIP Host will never wake up!!! The Broker does not send any magic packets to the PCoIP Host...

The Infrastructure: Zero Client P25 (Tera 2) with Firmware 4.2.0 // View Horizon Connection Server 5.3 // PCoIP Host is a Fujitsu Celsius Workstation with nvidia Quadro PCIe and PCoIP Host Card (Remote Power Button enbabled)

How do I manage powering on physical PCoIP-Hosts via Connection Server?

Thank you in advance for your help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

This will must help you .

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-Using-PCoIP-HostCards-TN-EN.pdf .

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Have never heard of that the View Broker can send magic packets so I do not think that is supported.

Can you find any documentation stating it should work?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
terranaut
Contributor
Contributor

Page 14 in documentation http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-Using-PCoIP-HostCards-TN-EN.pdf says:

"This section outlines specific troubleshooting, and frequently asked questions related to firmware release 3.4.1 on zero clients and host cards when using VMware View....." and in the same context...

"....The PC is often unreachable within approximately the first  two minutes of powering on the host PC. Wait several minutes for the View Agent to communicate with the View Connection Server. Log in to the View Connection Server and then check the state for the host PC"

This sentences suggests that powering-on of remote PCoIP Hosts via Connection Server should work.....

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Hmm, sorry can't really agree with you there.

Its just a note about that the agent is periodically updating the Connection broker about its status and its not real-time. (If I remember correctly it can take up to 7 minutes for the client to report in.)

If that all you can find I would say that there is no documentation about that feature being supported with Horizon View.

You could always open a support-issue with Teradici, they should be able to give the definite answer on this.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
terranaut
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Linjo,

thank you very much for your help. Following your suggestion to open a support-issue with Teradici, i got an answer...:

"Ticket #15134-22294 /// Waking Up Remote PCoIP Workstation via View Connection Server does not work ///

...Firstly, thank you for the attached information which has helped us in simulating the issue.

We have gone through the attachment and which fairly shows that WOL works as ZC> Remote PCoIP Server and does not work as ZC> VCS> Remote PCoIP Server and therefore we would suggest that you need to raise this issue with VMware Support since you are trying to WOL from view Connection Server."

Conclusion: Powering on VMs within vCenter is supported by VCS when initiating a connection, why not for registered remote PCoIP Workstations? All system prerequisites are given by Teradici! This should be a "Must Have" feature within VCS making it so much more easierer to manage physical PCoIP Hosts within an unified configured infrastructure! --> An input for next release of VCS?!

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Its of course very different powering on a virtual desktop through the vCenter server and powering on a physical desktop using wake-on-lan.

I have never heard of any VMware product/feature that is doing this using wake-on-lan.

So from a VMware perspective this is most likely not supported.

Of course you can file a feature request using this form: Contact VMware | United States

0 Kudos