VMware Horizon Community
VCSLI
Contributor
Contributor

WIndows 7 + PCoIP Black Screen

Greetings
When i attempt to connect to a desktop using PCoIP the connection starts, displays a solid black screen and then closes on it's own. I have spent a while researching this before posting here.
Solutions i've tried...
- Changed VGA Driver on VDI Desktop to "VMWare SVGA II" Version 11.6.0.37 Dated 7/16/2010
- Adjusted DVI desktops video memory to 40MB. (also tried 128, same thing).
- I have configured the PCoIP secure gateway as follows...
External URL: https://vdi.domain.com (configured via an A-Record at my host as well)
Use Secure Tunnel Connection To Desktop - Checked
PCoIP external URL 10.1.1.4:4127 - Internal IP of my VCS
Use PCoIP Secure Gateway for connections to desktop. - Checked
All the information i have read online says that one of these solutions will solve the issue. It hasnt for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you say specifically "Windows 7 + PCoIP Black Screen" does that imply that connecting to other OSs (such as XP) work OK? Or is this black screen in all situations?

Is this local access or remote access? Which View Client are you using?

If it's remote access with View 4.6, have you set your external URLs to be the external ones (not internal ones)? Have you been through the 3 config steps here http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-14974?

All of the recent postings about PCoIP black screen on remote access with View 4.6 were resolved either by step1, step 2 or step 3.

Mark.

0 Kudos
VCSLI
Contributor
Contributor

Step 1 - These options are already set.

Step 2 - The external URLs i have set are

HTTP Secure Tunnel: https://vdi.domain.com:443

Secure Tunnel to Desktop - Checked

PCoIP Secure Gateway: 10.1.1.4:4172 (Also tried using my External IP, made no difference)

Secure Gateway for PCoIP - Checked

Step 3 - There are no firewalls within the network. Windows firewall is completely disabled on ALL machines.I have both 443 and 4172 forwarded on my external firewall.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you're doing this with remote access then you must use the external IP for the "PCoIP External URL". Both external URLs are used by the View clients to connect to this server and so if this is set to an internal IP address it won't work. These external URLs must not be set to internal names/addresses. I know you've tried it with the external IP, but if PCoIP is blocked by any of the 3 steps not being done correctly, or if PCoIP is blocked elsewhere, you'll just get a black screen when you attempt to access the virtual desktop.

You may find wireshark useful for seeing where PCoIP is being blocked in your setup.

Mark.

0 Kudos
VCSLI
Contributor
Contributor

Alright, Both External URL's are set to my external info. External IP and https://vdi.domain.com

I have run a WireShark capture on my Connection server.

It seems to see a connection comming in, and then it's passing it to the VDI desktop. I think something weird is going on inbetween? Can you confirm?

VCS - 10.1.1.4

VDI Desktop - 192.168.10.100

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hard to tell from this. Interestingly, I don't see any UDP 4172 in this trace (unless it's because it's filtered. Is UDP 4172 allowed in both directions through your firewall? A wireshark trace at your client may help.

Mark.

0 Kudos
VCSLI
Contributor
Contributor

Yes 4172 TCP and UDP are allowed through my network gateway.

EDIT: I think it maybe something weird with MonoWall...

Let me try something else.

Cant thank you enough for helping out with this by the way. Really REALLY appreciate it.

0 Kudos
VCSLI
Contributor
Contributor

PRETTY SURE I GET THE MORON OF THE YEAR AWARD!!!!

I had port 4127 forwarded, not 4172.

Like 4 hours wasted cause of that.

Thank you so much for your help Mark. I feel horrible for wasting your time like this lol.

That video you made is fantastic by the way. I plan to watch it though tomorrow. 2:40AM in NY right now. Bed time.

Once again, thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Don't worry. Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know.

0 Kudos