VMware Horizon Community
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

WAN traffic sensitivity

Hi,

I'm finding that the View client is very sensitive to our internet connection becoming busy (when going through a security server from the internet). It's not maxed-out, but fairly well-used (it's only 2 2meg SDSL line at the moment). It's particularly bad during the business day, when you get disconnected from the VDI machine regularly.

The same problem doesn't exist if you RDP into the VM using a VPN connection.

Are there any settings that could be adjusted to make it more tolerant?

Thanks,

Iain

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert

Strange. Do your VPN connections terminate straight onto your firewall? How are the resources looking on the security server? Anything in log files?

Rodos

Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
imclaren
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, it's just a Cisco VPN client straight into the router.

There are a load of warning messages in the event log. I'm not sure if they're causing the disconnections, or as a result of them though...for example:

A0F6EF1429324EA88798609AB20277E1) Conveyor 0 IOException: java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.a(SourceFile:174)

java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read0(Native Method)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(Unknown Source)

at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(Unknown Source)

at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.a(SourceFile:146)

at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.au.run(SourceFile:152)

(A0F6EF1429324EA88798609AB20277E1) Conveyor 0 IOException: java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.a(SourceFile:174)

java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

0 Kudos
Realworld
Contributor
Contributor

I get exactly the same errors at random times during the day without a VPN client. These messages only appear at the security server, and the only thing that I think that goes down is the portal site. If I restart the security server service, all comes back to normal.

It happens approximately once every day and usually during the night (so the quiet time).

Anybody any idea?

Hereby the messages that I get:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: VMware VDM

Event Category: VMware VDM

Event ID: 104

Date: 3/18/2009

Time: 6:51:17 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: Description: (98D0D0F1498AAAF4DF46DA61C447AE90) Conveyor 1 IOException: java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.a(SourceFile:174) java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read0(Native Method) at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(Unknown Source) at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(Unknown Source) at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(Unknown Source) at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(Unknown Source) at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.a(SourceFile:146) at com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.au.run(SourceFile:152) at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) Event Type: Warning Event Source: VMware VDM Event Category: VMware VDM Event ID: 104 Date: 3/19/2009 Time: 7:14:55 AM User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer:

Description:

(C238B2C2F55893A7B563B0CD053F2D77) Conveyor 0 IOException: java.io.IOException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host com.vmware.vdi.ice.server.c.a(SourceFile:174)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

0 Kudos
TGO
Contributor
Contributor

We are getting the same error. VDI has been working absolutly ok for a long time and then this morning users are complaining of disconnection. In the server logs we are seeing:

(E9B3DE7C3B999EEF49B807CBB7B963F9)Conveyor 0 IOException: java.io.IOException: An existing connection wasforcibly closed by the remote host com.vmwa

and

(E9B3DE7C3B999EEF49B807CBB7B963F9) No Conveyor for channel

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
BUFFALOIT
Contributor
Contributor

We are getting the same error every day.

The error occur only from WAN via security server.

No error from LAN to connection server.

(1B047FE4B0E7AF45BA71689CDC6C540D) Conveyor 1 IOException. Remote address is null:

0 Kudos
SFGVI
Contributor
Contributor

We are seeing the same thing after upgrading to v3.1 on our Connection Server, Security server, agents, and clients.

I have a case open with VMware on this. I am getting very close to going back to View v3.01.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Do you mind posting your SR number? I am going to open a ticket on the same issue and I would like to reference your ticket.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
SFGVI
Contributor
Contributor

My case number is - SR#1159533391 (critical). Kind of a big deal for us since our app developers use VDI and are pretty much shut down right now b/c of the frequency of connection drops.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks... Our ticket is 1427438171

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Iain -- Can you post your SR number? I'd like to see if your issue is related to another to help speed resolution. Thanks.

0 Kudos
differentthinki
Contributor
Contributor

Are there any news on those two tickets?? I've the same issue in our environment.

Robert

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

In our case VMware provided us with a patch that corrected our problem. They also released a KB article about the issue, .

0 Kudos
steveanderson3
Contributor
Contributor

We are running version 3.1.1, and I'm seeing this issue occasionally. I don't know if our dmz is blipping, or if view is actually dropping these connections. We had about 20 users disconnected today at the same time, I saw these errors on all 3 of our security servers.

(B10B75F67E9F3CCC6D640919525F8AB9) No Conveyor for channel 0

(B10B75F67E9F3CCC6D640919525F8AB9) Conveyor 0 IOException. Remote address is null: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

The KB article said this is supposed to be addressed in 3.1.1?

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The bug was fixed in View 3.1.1. The messages the you are referring to aren't so much errors as just info messages showing that a connection was closed for some reason or other.

It's possible that there was a network blip of some sort that caused your clients to get disconnected.

As an aside, is you View Connection Server running on a vSphere VM and if so are you using vmxnet3?

Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos
steveanderson3
Contributor
Contributor

We have not moved any of our view infrastructure to our esx 4.0 servers yet. Is there a benefit to running vmxnet3?

0 Kudos
mikebarnett
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No. We have seen the View 3 Connection Server running on vSphere with the vmxnet3 driver cause some connection issues.

It sounds like it could be a network issue of some sort.

Mike

Twitter: @MikeBarnett_
0 Kudos