VMware Horizon Community
friedeva
Contributor
Contributor

WAN connection through PCOIP works only the first time

Hello all,

I'm working on a View POC, with access over the LAN and over the WAN.

I've set up two connection servers, one for serving the internal PCOIP connections, the other to support a DMZ-located security server, which is accessible from the outside. The security server and this second connection server have been interconnected successfully.

Access from the LAN to a desktop pool, using PCOIP, works all the time.

From the outside, I can authenticate successfully and see my desktops available. At this stage, I have the chance to connect with PCOIP one time, and it works. I can remain connected for one hour, do everything, no problem.

If ever I disconnect, then, no chance to connect anymore to this desktop; I get the black  screen, as if there was a network problem. But the network configuration has been triple-checked, following the instructions here and here. And as said, the first connection attempt works. If I connect to a new VM, it works again... once.

Restarting the agent, rebooting the desktop, nothing helps, except re-provision a new one.

RDP will work all the time.

Some background information:

vCenter 5 build 755629

ESXi 5 hosts build 768111

VM hardware version 8

All view servers run 2008 R2 SP1 latest patches applied

All view dekstops run Seven SP1 latest patches applied

Latest VM tools installed

View Servers 5.1 build 704644

View agent x64 build 704644

Any idea? Let me know if any additional information could help!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So on the second connection you get past the autentication prompt and actually get to select the desktop at which point it goes to the black screen.   

When that happens what does the status show in the View administrator page?   

Have you reviewed the View client/agent logs to see you can get any information from there?

0 Kudos
friedeva
Contributor
Contributor

mittim, thanks for your help.

I finally found out what was causing the problem:

The fact that it was working the first time was the main clue, and made me think of user GPOs: GPOs are read a first time when the user connects, but the session starts with clean settings. At second login the user settings are here already, and some offending setting will block the connection.

By making an OU without any GPO I could solve the problem and confirm this idea.

Then I integrated GPOs back one by one and could identify the offending setting: one GPO pushes a proxy configuration file (.pac) to our computers. It seems that this causes the returning PCoIP trafic to the security server to be blocked. I created a manual proxy configuration with exceptions for the security server and could finally get the whole thing work.

Isn't there a better way to support .pac configuration files?

Maybe this can help someone too!

0 Kudos