VMware Horizon Community
khloh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

W10 Start button having issue after restart (with View "redirect windows profile to a persistent disk options enabled")

Hi,

Has anyone encountered an issue with W10 Start button not able to function after restart of the View Desktop?

W10 parent image preparation:

i) Install W10 (version 1607 build 10.1.14393) to VM(vmxnet3, vmware tools installed)

ii) During installation, was asked to create an administrator user (as the built-in administrator is disabled by default). Created an User (eg. admin) which has administrator role.

iii) Install Horizon agent 7.02

iv) Network setting using DHCP. Shutdown & take vmware snapshot.

View Desktop pool configuration:

Horizon 7.02

i) Create pool :

- Automated Pool > Dedicated (with Auto assignment)

- View Composer Linked Clone

- Redirect Windows profile to a persistent disk enabled

- Redirect disposable files to a non-persistent disk enabled

- Storage : VSAN

- Quickprep (with allow reuse of pre-existing computer accounts)

Issue:

i) View desktop able to be deployed correctly and joined to domain and user able to login

ii) Windows Start button able to work correctly (left & right mouse click works fine)

iii) However, if the View desktop is restarted, the Windows Start button left mouse click is not working anymore. Restart the View desktop again will not work either.

Note:

i) Tested with W7, (with above settings); no issue.

ii) Tested with W10 with floating desktop; no issue

iii) Tested with W10 with View "Do Not redirect Windows Profile", no issue.

Did I miss out any steps in preparing the parent image? What is the best practice for setting up a parent image for W10?

Thanks in advance.

KH

0 Kudos
1 Reply
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is likely related to a known issue with Windows 10 and persistent disk.  

• After a recompose, refresh, or rebalance operation with a persistent disk, Windows 10 desktops might fail to start, or become untiled from the Start menu. Windows applications can include applications such as Windows Store, native applications, Edge Browser, and Cortana Search. This issue is caused by a characteristic of Windows 10 applications. This problem affects the following desktop types:
      • Linked-clone dedicated desktops with a persistent disk.
      • Linked-clone floating desktops with Persona Management enabled that use a persistent disk as a local disk and the Persona Management setting Roam Local Settings Folders enabled.

This issue is not seen with floating or dedicated linked-clone Windows 10 version 1607 desktop pools where user profile is redirected to network share with or without Persona Management enabled. If Persona Management is enabled, the user profile is set to roam with VMware Persona GPO settings.

Horizon release notes is being updated to include the above.

-Angela Ge, Horizon product management)

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon
0 Kudos