VMware Horizon Community
viktu
Contributor
Contributor

Vsphere Flash Read Cache and View

Hello,

I just added two flash cards to my view servers. VFRC is working OK with servers, but I wanted to accelerate user's view guests.

I want to accelerate the system disk (the one inherited from golden image). I tried configuring VFRC on the golden image, and after that taking a snapshot.

When recomposing I see that the linked clones do not have VFRC activated, so they don't do flash caching.

How can it be done automatically, as the only way I see for now is changing the guests HD VFRC properties one by one.

Thank you!

Tags (3)
7 Replies
vRickE
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AFAIK, VFRC still not supported for view.... which sucks...

@rickespada
0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Is this a production environment or your testing environment? IF you want to use performance improvement, did you get Atlantis software? I am using it in my lab environment and so far it looks promising

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
viktu
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, those are production servers. I did not wanted to try any other software, just Esxi features, as I have no much budget to improve these...

As I see, I'll have to wait until they give those capabilities to view linked clones...

Thank you

0 Kudos
kslish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Atlantis is neat until you see the price tag.  It makes VDI completely not cost effective for me.  Thinking about moving partially to a stateless reference architecture for my View desktops running off of local PCIe SSDs like in some of VMware's whitepapers until something is more baked into ESXi. 

0 Kudos
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i agree with kslish,

ILIO Atlantis is the way to go. Even the older version with diskback is solid.

been using this method for a few years now.

non persistant vms with linked clones sitting on a ILIO-Write-cache store and all replicas sitting on a ILIO-Read- cache store does the job.

youll notice your read /write to the Low end budget san or high end san will drop dramatically.

improvement all round.

0 Kudos
gmtx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Been using the stateless reference architecture for over a year now with no issues at all. Give it a try - you'll really appreciate how cost effective the performance gain will be, an I have yet to see any real disadvantages. I'm actually surprised more people haven't gone this route before spending big money on SAN upgrades.

Geoff

VIRTUNET2011101
Contributor
Contributor

VFRC is not supported for Horizon VMs, also it is now discontinued in ESXi 7.0. VFRC never supported Linked Clones or Instant Clones, so both persistent and non-persistent VDI couldn't be supported by VFRC.

Our VirtuCache software is the only host side caching software for VMware that supports VDI.

[Disclosure - I am a SE for Virtunet]

0 Kudos