VMware Horizon Community
Ewelschmeyer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware View

When I try to connect to my virtual machine I get an error "This deskotp currently has no desktop sources available". When I look in the View Manager it is saying that the machine is being customized. I am doing some testing, and am a first time user on this. I am running View Manager 4.x. Any help that I can get would be appreciated. I am trying to do my testing with Windows 7 for my virtual machine. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linked clones are only available if you have installed & configured View Composer. You will get the option when creating a new automated desktop pool, think it's the second option which is a tick box for "enable linked clones". If its not there then youre creating full clones.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
geddam
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You want to try enabling and disabling the desktop pool provisioning.

Also look for the below KB:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1013282

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Firstly make sure you have installed the View agent on your master image.

Secondly are you using "automated desktop pools"? I assume so as the message you're getting usually means that view is in the spawning process but can't complete.

Thirdly are you using full clones or linked clones? I can't speak for Windows 7 but for XP, if creating full clones you need to have the customisation profile created in VCenter and the sysprep files copied to VCenter. This may be different for Windows 7 since sysprep works slightly different. You also need to follow the View guides when creating the customization profile as syntax is VERY important.

If creating linked clones your master image should have the view agent installed. Power off and take snapshot. You then need to make sure your VComposer settings in View Manager are configured corrctly. Again syntax is VERY important.

AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have to wait that customization has finished and at least there is one VM in ready state.

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Ewelschmeyer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am going to try a different approach since I am new to the VMware View. I am going to install Windows XP, and do the sysprep that it tells me to do. I think that the issue I was having with Win7 was that I forgot to do the sysprep first before shutting down the server. I will post again when I have the machine configured and let everyone know what I found. Thanks for the responses.

0 Kudos
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

With Windows XP you don't need to sysprep the master image before shutting down. This is taken care of if you have sysprep files stored on VCenter in the correct location relevant to the version and service pack of your image, and the correct settings and syntax in your customisation profile in VCenter.

In saying that you could sysprep your windows 7 master before shutdown. I don't see what that wouldn't work although you would have to manually configure the unique hostnames as they were spawned to complete windows setup. However this is why I ask the question of whether you are using linked clones as linked clones don't use sysprep at all. They use quickprep configure in View Manager and if the settings are wrong here, you will also get the errors you described.

I wouldn't give up on the Windows 7 thing just yet, there must be some info out there.

0 Kudos
Ewelschmeyer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am unsure if I am using linked clones or not. I am so unfamilar with this product, that if I have I don't know. Could you tell me how I could tell.

0 Kudos
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Linked clones are only available if you have installed & configured View Composer. You will get the option when creating a new automated desktop pool, think it's the second option which is a tick box for "enable linked clones". If its not there then youre creating full clones.

0 Kudos
Ewelschmeyer
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have finally got the connection to the server, but I am getting nothing to display on the screen. When I connect to the computer it is showing up blank and then within 15 seconds it closes the window.

0 Kudos
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think you need to post some more details of what your setup is, how you've config'd everything and what the issue is as it's hard to understand what you have and haven't done.

You could try create an individual pool which will map 1 user to your 1 vm and check if you can connect from the view client. This will show you the broker is working in which case you can move onto the provisioning issues you have.

0 Kudos