VMware Horizon Community
chriswu11111
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware View network Latency allowance

Does anyone know what the maximum network latency that vmware view can still bear with and allow users to still work.

My servers and virtual desktops are based in US and i have thin clients in mumbai India. Latency is current 221ms.

Does anyone know the max View allows?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Take a look at the View 5 with PCoIP Network Optimization Guide here: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/view/VMware-View-5-PCoIP-Network-Optimization-Guide.pdf. According to that, if you're planning to use 3D graphics in your View desktops, round-trip latency shouldn't exceed 150 ms. For less graphics intensive computing though, it says that the latency should be consistent and remain under 250 ms. Anecdotally, I've heard of people having success with up to 300 ms latency, but you'd really want to tune the PCoIP protocol using group policies at that range. If your round-trip latency is consistently under 250 ms, I think you should be fine. You should still consider adjusting the build to lossless and frame rate settings for PCoIP for best performance, though.

Dave

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I agree with Dave, I have seen customer running PCoIP over 300-350ms but it aint a "high-fidelity" desktop experience. (Tons better then RDP and ICA though that they also evaluated...)

PCoIP can make up for latency with plenty of bandwith, but low latency AND low bandwith then it becomes tough and you should look at alternatives like local mode instead.

This also improved with each View version, View 5 is a LOT better on the WAN the 4.6 and I am sure there will be improvments in the next version.'

So in the next version maybe you can adress a usecase you can not today...

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos