VMware Horizon Community
MosaElian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware View Replica

Hi all

Vmware View Replica will enhance both load balancing and high availability or just Load balancing ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The View replica server utilizes a copy of the connection broker adam database which gives clients the ability to connect and authenticate.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
tetrapackage
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For all I know, VMware View enhances higher availability and agility of desktop service. Loading balance comes with it as well, I think.

0 Kudos
MosaElian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I dont understand

View Replica server can provide HA solution for connection server or not ????

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The View replica server utilizes a copy of the connection broker adam database which gives clients the ability to connect and authenticate.

0 Kudos
MosaElian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

what will happen if connection server goes down

and how to fail over to replica server

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the connection broker goes down then the replica can still operate without issue.  In order to use it you will need some ways to push the clients to it.  You could use DNS round robin or a hardware load balancer.

0 Kudos
MosaElian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

but if Connection server fail , round robin DNS server will redirect some client to failed Connection server and other hosts will be redirected to replica server

am I Right ???

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are correct, round robin would require some type of manual change to remove the failed server.   I only used it to make the point that you need something to direct the user connections to the servers. 

0 Kudos
MosaElian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok Thanks

So the answer is NOOO we cant use Replica server as HA solution to Connection Server.

so how can i ensure HA solution for view enviroment , as VMware HA gurantee HA on VM level only

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use something like fault tolerence for the connection broker or you can use some type of hardware load balancer which would do the trick. 

MosaElian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes FT looks Good , as active  load balancer need passive load balancer to gurantee HA

0 Kudos
MosaElian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

but FT is a mirror so incase a damage or courrption happen to main machine it will be mirroed to secondary ,machine

so still FT work at VM level not OS level

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are correct again.      Like I said the other option is some type of load balancer that will direct queries between a connection broker and a replica server.   This load balancer would need to be smart enough to remove a broker that fails any health checks.

0 Kudos
MosaElian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

switch level load balnacer is expensive . the other way to configure linux system as load balancer linux piranha but in that case i need 2 linux VM to act as active and passive load balancer :smileygrin: which will complicate the enviroment

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can also read over this document.  It's a bit older but may give you some ideas, http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vdm20-load-balancing-guide.pdf

MosaElian
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

nice document

thanks

0 Kudos