VMware Horizon Community
chriswu11111
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware View Printing PCOIP across a WAN

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to ask how PCOIP behaves on printing and how well this works across a WAN or should one use RDP instead.

The base scenario is:

View manager, View composer, Virtual desktops are all based in the US. Users around the globe will connect to the virtual machines from thin clients.

E.g. Asia and europe regions will connect tot he virtual desktops via thin clients and obviously would like to print locally.

Current ping times from indian to US is 150ms. We will have a 10MB pipe from india to US and US has a 25MB pipe.

I was doing research online and i get mixed reviews on RDP vs PCOIP, some say RDP is better some say PCOIP is better......

So i'm just wanting to ask the people who've deployed something like this or any experts out there on it.

How will PCOIP do in this scenario or should RDP be used instead? thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

we've 1200 PCOIP clients and it works fine with the printers. VDI desktops are configured with the printers which are shared locally through a print server.

the latency between our sites are less than 100ms, it may not create much impact in print service.

0 Kudos
chriswu11111
Contributor
Contributor

thanks are your users near local to the server?

How big are your print outs?

We may possibly be printing masses of documents i.e. couple hundred pages....at a time just wondering how that works across the WAN.

I assume the the pdf file will have to travel from the desktop location (USA) down the network to India's printer.........so just wondering if that would kill the network linke with about 100 users using this Server.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I'm afraid in order to get your  desired answer your going to need to test it yourself.    It's one thing to hear feedback about how well something works but it's another when you try to implement it in your environment on different WAN links and using different print jobs. 

0 Kudos
chriswu11111
Contributor
Contributor

In Addition I would like to ask for some advice on what is the best way to setup WAN printing.

After looking at some tutorials, You can obviously use the traditional way of login scripts or vmware views group policy location based printing, you also have the use local printing redirection (Transfer of printers from local machine).

The transfer for printers from local machine i'm just wondering how that fairs with "thin clients"

Has anyone has any experience with this? that they can share and whats best practise

I'm currently unable to test this on the WAN our hardware equipments don't arrive till 2 weeks time so i am looking for some advice before i go ahead. thanks everyone!

0 Kudos
braju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I'm struggling to get my network printer  mapped in my view session using PCoIP. All works fine using RDP. I've followed the View Admin Guild and it says I need to register TPVMGPoAcmap.dll file. I'm not getting this file. Can some one help me? I'm looking for clear stpes to get my network printer redirected successfully into my view4.6 session using PCoIP.

Thanks

Bhim

0 Kudos