VMware Horizon Community
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmware View Licensing (vCenter)

Have a question regarding licensing of vmware view.

We have an existing vSphere cluster with 3 hosts and 1 vCenter Foundation (limited to 3 hosts).

Can we upgrade vCenter to Standard (unlimited hosts) and make use of the Vmware View Starter bundle (VU5-PR-STR-C) for two new ESX hosts, but make use of the existing vCenter server ?

Our distributor says we have to use the vCenter in the Vmware View Starter Bundle, but this will also costs us an extra Windows license for a vCenter server.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The vCenter for desktops that is included in that package is licensed for use only with desktop components such as vdi machines, connection broker, or the vCenter box.  You couldn't run any other server infrastructure on it per the EULA.

0 Kudos
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let me update:

I will NOT use the vCenter for Desktops license, but a separate vCenter Standard license !

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

A seperate vCenter license will work fine.   Good luck and let us know if we can help. 

0 Kudos
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know it will work, but is it allowed according to the vmware licensing guide ?
(using vCenter for servers and desktops)

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, if you buy a seperate full vCenter standard license you can run workstation and server workloads.  The only that I know if that is limited is the vCenter for desktops.

0 Kudos
juchestyle
Commander
Commander

You do want to keep your virtualized servers seperate from your virtualized desktops.

It is a good practice to run your vCenter for your desktops outside of the infrastructure that runs your desktops.

Does that make sense?

Kaizen!
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

And the student becomes Master! wrote:

You do want to keep your virtualized servers seperate from your virtualized desktops.

It is a good practice to run your vCenter for your desktops outside of the infrastructure that runs your desktops.

Does that make sense?

I agree with you to a certain extent and given the option I would always run separate but some environments don't have the resources for multiple vCenters.   Let's also be honest if you only have a 10 desktop View environment do you really need dedicated vCenter box?  

0 Kudos