VMware Horizon Community
acidack
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware View Connection Server - unattended install - error with ADAM

Hi

I'm trying to do an unattended install of Vmware Connection Server v4 in Replica mode.

I've managed to figure out the switches, and although the install completes, it fails due to ADAM replication issues. If I do the install manually, it completes fine.

This is the command I run:

@set SETUP=start /wait %VCI_MEDIA%\VMware-viewconnectionserver-4.0.0-210939.exe /V /qb VDM_SERVER_INSTANCE_TYPE=2 VDM_SERVER_NAME=w2k3svr1.testdomain.com

From Install log:

MSI (s) (AC!18) : Product: VMware View Connection Server -- Error 28018. There was an error creating a Microsoft Directory Services instance. 'ADAM is not running on the specified LDAP port of the source server. Enter the source server and port of a valid configuration set in these fields, and then run Setup again.'. For further information, please check the Microsoft ADAM setup log (adamsetup.log) in the Windows Debug folder.

From ADAM setup log:

damsetup 100C.34C 01F3 Enter AnswerFile::ReadKey SourceLDAPPort

adamsetup 100C.34C 01F4 Enter ConvertStringToPort 389

adamsetup 100C.34C 01F5 Enter Validate::IsADAMServer :389

adamsetup 100C.34C 01F6 isADAM = false

adamsetup 100C.34C 01F7 ADAMERR_REPSERVERPORT_NOTRUNNINGADAM

adamsetup 100C.34C 01F8 Enter State::SetFinishMessage ADAM is not running on the specified LDAP port of the source server. Enter the source server and port of a valid configuration set in these fields, and then run Setup again.

The server name is correct, as if I run the manual install, the same server name goes through fine. I'm guessing somehow it times out or something else with authetnication, it is all run under the Administrator acct, so not sure...

Any help?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
acidack
Contributor
Contributor

These arguments were missing: ADAM_PRIMARY_NAME=xxxxxx ADAM_PRIMARY_PORT=389

0 Kudos
TrueBrit
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting this same error when I perform a manual install. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing this variation?

Thanks

0 Kudos
BaronVonAaron
Contributor
Contributor

Bump main topic. Error 28018 here as well, for manual install.

0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert

Had a similar issue, same error while performing a normal standard connection server setup.

The affected environment characteristics: vCenter 4.1 on Windows2008R2 x64, View Connection Server 4.5 setup performed on Windows 2008 R2 x64.

Both servers are members of Windows 2000 (!!!) active directory.

First we had an AD related error during vCenter setup and KB article 1025668 (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102566...) resolved it.

Later when installing View Connection Server 4.5 it terminated with error 28018.

Applying the hotfix mentioned in KB 1025668 resolved this as well (you have to reboot the W2008R2 machine after applying hotfix).

I'm not saying this is a permanent solution, but at least it worked out in given scenario and I do suspect that it is related to Win2008R2 interaction with Win2000 Active Directory.

WBR

Imants

0 Kudos