VMware Horizon Community
rsgqjj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vmware View Composer installation error

I can't get View Composer to install. I am using VC 2.5 update 3. SQL 2000 Enterprise database

Every attempt to install the View composer service on the Virtual Center server fails and rolls back the install.

I check the vmmsi.log file and there is one message "MsgSVIExists = The installer has detected that a previous version of this product is currently installed on this machine. Please uninstall this application before attempting to install the VMware View Composer."

The thing is I have never installed the service and I have even checked directories, registry, and "Windows Install Clean Up Tool" and there is no reference to this product.

After numerous reboots and attempts it still fails.

I am currently evaluating the product and wasn't able to get assistance, We are in final stage of testing this before a purchase and would like to get this going.

I have attached the install log

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

okay, so i dont know how to help u.

The problems i got are in u're link to the other thread.

U can post a screen or something of your Problem ? Maybe it helps me to find a solution ^^ its Monday and i am a little bit slow of thinking to day Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you fixed this error, it stands in the end of your log : "MsgSVIExists = The installer has detected that a previous version of this product is currently installed on this machine. Please uninstall this application before attempting to install the VMware View Composer."

0 Kudos
rsgqjj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, this has not been resolved. I have searched and attempted many things and fyi, as stated above there has not been any previous install of View Composer on the Virtual Center server.

I looked at this thread http://communities.vmware.com/message/1178390 and tried to change my SQL user from a SQL account to a domain account and I got further and received the error in that thread which I thought was even more strange.

I will be trying a few more things with different types of database owner accounts to see if I can get it to complete but nothing about it makes since expecially the original error about removing previous version.

0 Kudos
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

okay, so i dont know how to help u.

The problems i got are in u're link to the other thread.

U can post a screen or something of your Problem ? Maybe it helps me to find a solution ^^ its Monday and i am a little bit slow of thinking to day Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ggordon
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I came across this error yesterday while on site with a customer setting up a POC. In the end I resolved this by giving the SQL user full sysadmin rights to the SQL server for the duration of install. Once it was completed I was able to remove the sysadmin rights as long as the user had DBO on the Composer database.

In my case, the message about it already being installed was a bit of a red herring. Hope this helps.

Graeme

rsgqjj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks alot. This solved my issue as well. I rebuilt my server and the issue still was there. I guess this is an issue with a remote SQL 2000 database and local sql user account. I added Sys admin rights , completed install and removed them.

ggordon actually gave the correct answer, seems correct answer points was given to wrong id

0 Kudos
Teovmy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have some nice screenshots of 'Install VMware View Composer'

http://www.mikes.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:install-vmware-view-composer&cat...

Maybe this helps.

Message was edited by: Teovmy

Regards. @teovmy http://www.mikes.eu
0 Kudos