VMware Horizon Community
malefik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware View 7.4 - how to limit I/O ?

Hello colleagues.

Vmware View 7.4 - how to limit I/O for the pool of machines in general and for each machine?

So far I've only found the ability to edit the I/O properties in a particular machine through Vsphere, but this is not exactly what I need.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sounds like you will be mixing VDI and Prod workloads on the vSAN. If you are running version 6.2 or higher, VMware introduced the IOPS limit per object feature.

Since this is based on the application of a storage policy to limit IO, it would be simple to apply the storage policy to your parent VM. One word of warning is to test, test, and test again on performance. It is very easy to starve VMs to the point of non-function when implementing policies such as this.

Here is a direct doc link from VMware for vSAN Storage Policy Setup: Link

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The only way I can think of is place these specific machines in a dedicated datastore, and enable storage io control on that datastore.

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I agree as well. Likely the OP has multiple datastores in which case a datastore cluster with storage IO like sjesse mentioned would work.

One item though, this is an unusual request. Typically, VDI doesn't need to have this limit in place as dedicated storage is in place. This could be an over subscription issue on the storage I/O or perhaps a specific app generating the I/O. What is the behavior you are seeing that requires limiting the I/O?

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
malefik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Simply, we would not want users to create unnecessary load on the storage.

By the way, we use vSAN.

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Sounds like you will be mixing VDI and Prod workloads on the vSAN. If you are running version 6.2 or higher, VMware introduced the IOPS limit per object feature.

Since this is based on the application of a storage policy to limit IO, it would be simple to apply the storage policy to your parent VM. One word of warning is to test, test, and test again on performance. It is very easy to starve VMs to the point of non-function when implementing policies such as this.

Here is a direct doc link from VMware for vSAN Storage Policy Setup: Link