VMware Horizon Community
tosoe
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware View 5.1 Link Clones - error 18 Failed to join the domain

We have the windows 2008 R2 DC and the View ConnectionServer running as VM’s.

The vCenter is version 5.0, view composer 3.0.

The Link Clones are running windows 7. They are configured as floating LinkClones

We have installed the required software, installed the agent, added the parent to the domain.

When I go to create the pool I eventually get the” error 18 Failed to join the domain” saying that it was unable to attach the machine to the domain.

If I look under active directory on our 2008 server it shows that the machines are there.

When I try to log into the LinkClone, the console under vsphere I get the error that says "Fatal VolumesReady  - [VolumesReady.cpp, 135] Joining Domain failed X times”.

If I log into the LinkClones as the local user and change them to a workgroup (because they are already showing like they are on the domain), reboot, then I can manually add them to the domain.

I also went ahead and tried creating the registry entry for the "NeutralizeNT4Emulator" which didnt work as well as manually setting the default gateway and the DNS server.

The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper  Service is running on the LinkClones

I tried to stop Firewalls, with no luck either.

When I manually add the LinkClones to the domain these values are set into the AD LinkClones object else they are emty.

dNSHostName:
srv1.mydomainname.com

servicePrincipalName:
HOST/SRV1
HOST/srv1.mydomainname.com
RestrictedKrbHost/SRV1
RestrictedKrbHost/srv1.mydomainname.com
TERMSRV/SRV1
TERMSRV/srv1.mydomainname.com

If I try to add them manually, they are removed after a recompose or refresh.

From View Manager I got the following:

26-07-2012 15:24:45 CEST: View Composer agent initialization state error (18): Failed to join the domain (waited 605 seconds)

Pairing state:Paired and secured

Configured by:viewcs-tek.otbs.local

Attempted theft by:

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JCL225
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is it only the one pool that is failing to join machines?

or all of them are?

If none of your pools can join check your quickprep user, or rather the user specificed in your view composer settings.

View Administrator ->View Configuration->Servers-> edit vcenter server

Perhaps the password changed since first entering it or its rights to join machines to your domain have changed.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums.    Does your View Composer account have the correct permissions to join a computer to the domain.   See this KB for what permissions are needed.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1007659

0 Kudos
tosoe
Contributor
Contributor

It's all the pools I try to make that are falling.

Because it's a test I simply configured the domain administrator in the view composer settings in view manager.

Where do I find the quickprep user?

Is it the user configured  in the view composer guest agent service? Here I use the local systemaccount.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can find the account used for View composer under the advanced section of the area where you enetered the vCenter server in View Admin.   

0 Kudos
tosoe
Contributor
Contributor

Here I use the domain administrator - <domain>\administrator

The only fault messages I see in the agent log is: "Fatal VolumesReady  - [VolumesReady.cpp, 135] Joining Domain failed X times”.

In AD log I see the Microsoft event ID 4625 "Unknown user name or bad password"

The Link Clone system log show - Netlogon error, "Microsoft event ID 5719" and "Microsoft event ID 3210".

Telling that "authenticate might be caused by another computer on the same network using the same name or the password for this computer account"

There are no other systems and the DNS and reverse DNS is ok.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, just to verify did you pick the quickprep or sysprep option when setting up the pool?

0 Kudos
tosoe
Contributor
Contributor

I setup the quickprep for the pool

0 Kudos
JCL225
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are the computer objects already created in your AD container prior to the pool provisioning your linked clones? Created manually or reused names that is.

They shouldn't be, but just checking. I thought I read somewhere that 5.1 allows precreated computernames but I know it didn't used to work in past versions.

0 Kudos
tosoe
Contributor
Contributor

No computer objects in the AD before LC pool provisioning.

The computer objects in the AD are created under LC pool provisioning.

0 Kudos
tosoe
Contributor
Contributor

I have newly made a Support Request

0 Kudos
tosoe
Contributor
Contributor

The problem was the secondary DNS configuration.

I have only one Domain Controller in the setup.

To be sure I have configured an secondary DNS server outside the Domain.

When I deleted that one, and made a recompose on the Link Clones everything came up running.

0 Kudos