VMware Horizon Community
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vmware Intergrated Printing, fslogix and small printout.

Hello,

I'm hoping someone else has seen this issue... as its one of those things that is slowly eroding my sanity.  Ever since we moved to using vmware integrated printing and fslogix a strange issue seems to happen intermittently when some of our users print.  When the user goes to print, despite the properties on the printer, the default paper size is 4.xX"3.x so the end result is a tiny printout on normal paper.  The current workaround is to remove the printer and add it back, which will print normally for that session and at times for multiple sessions.  However eventually after login they go to print and go back to a small paper size.  This does not seem to effect all users, however the users that have the issue seem to have it fairly consistently.  It also is not isolated to a specific program, and users who have this issue do not have a common appvol or anything of that nature.

We are still using DEM to keep user printer settings (mainly for default printer), however I do have some test users which are excluded from those DEM settings that still have the issue.  Printers are installed and not being pushed in via GPO or DEM.

All printers are running from a 2016 print server, the issue does not happen outside of the VM and never happened back in the days of thin print.

The issue can happen with redirected printers as well, not just printers that are assigned to the VM. 

I've played with the policy for "Disable Printer Property Persistence" without any success as well.

Horizon version 2012 (agent 8.1.0)

Appvol 4.2.0.48

fslogix 2.9.7654.46150

(Profile and office containers, single user search roaming)

DEM 10.1.0.959

Anyone have any idea on what could be causing this, or how to prevent it?  I'm at the grasping at straws phase.

Thank you.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
dpalazeke
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Enthusiast,

I have not had this issue, but have a worry I will run into something like this.  Right now we just have instant clone pool with fslogix profile containers.  We've had issues with printers mapping correctly through group policy, so we were considering DEM.  Out of curiosity, which group policy method did you use and how did you bypass the printnightmare bug?  Our current production environment is Windows 7 and we put in the point and print registry settings and that seemed to work for that OS, but not for Windows 10.  Did you have to pre-load the parent image wth all of the print drivers first?

Thank you,

dromios

0 Kudos
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

We load all printer drivers on our parent image, and honestly its a bit of a pain.  Occasionally Microsoft updates cause us to have to reload the printers again (mostly issues with xerox and dymo drivers).  We persist the printers and default by using DEM.  Its not perfect but it seems to work pretty well.  When we moved to fslogix we cut a lot of our DEM out, but we still have it for a few odd jobs.

Oddly the small print issue just disappeared.  I did go through and alter service and registry permissions to allow the end user to stop and restart the spooler and horizon printer service via an powershell script converted to an exe as a stop gap... but a few months ago the issue just stopped happening.

0 Kudos