VMware Horizon Community
danidani
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Horizon View 7.0.3 - Linked clone - Persistent mode - Persona management - Windows 10 (1607) - -> Windows 10 Start Menu doesn't work (not appears on click)

Hello,

3 weeks ago i upraded my Horizon View infrastructure from 7.0.2 to 7.0.3

We have several desktop pool with Windows 7 and now an other one for testing Windows 10 (1607)

We have a problem with the Windows 10 Start menu (it doesn't appears when we click on it) not always but often.

This problem seems to be known with Windows 10 without considering virtualization

Our goldimage was optimized with VMware OSOT, and other standard recommandations like we made it with Windows 7.

We use linked clone in non-persistent mode with Vmware Persona. (share cifs on NAS,)
Since 2 years, everything works fine with Windows 7, all dedicated GPOs for Vmware View 7.0.3 are updated for the dedicated OU for W10 pool desktop.

In the last ticket (closed now), Support said us this problem will be fixed in the next release (7.0.3) but the problem is still there.

I just recreate a SR to VMware support,

Any idea ?

Your help, feedback or experience would be appreciated

Best regards

Daniel

(Switzerland)

22 Replies
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are running Persona management, please try enabling "Roam local setting folders".

Some windows 10 applications (including Cortana) put their installation and setting in AppData\Local which should be fine for deletion but they are not.

0 Kudos
danidani
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The option "Roam local settings folders" is already done, even with local settings in preload mode (GPOs Persona) the problem is still persistent.

Thx

Daniel

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It seems the AppLocker was interfering with the Start Menu.  Try disabling the GPO and check if this helps.

0 Kudos
danidani
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

Applocker isn't activated in GPO.

Best regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
danidani
Contributor
Contributor

VMware support said me, as mentionned in the last release note (chapter Windows 10 support), the problem can be solved if i redirect all user profile folder),

but by GPO we can redirect many folders as "Roaming" folder but not the famous "local" folder (not recommended), we find Inside it the "TileDataLayer" folder.

Is someone already used VMware UEM (User Environnement Manager) ? Maybe it's a solution for my current problem

Release Notes for VMware Horizon 7 version 7.0

Thanks for your help

Daniel

0 Kudos
DavidPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try the following on the golden image in the default profile. remove or rename the file usrclass.dat from the following location c:\users\Default\appdata\local\Microsoft\windows\usrclass.dat

This fixed our issues with the menu not appearing on both Windows 10 1511 & 1607.

Hope it helps.

David.

0 Kudos
danidani
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DavidPatrick,

Very sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for your recommandation, but strangely the file usrclass.dat doesn't exist in this location.

Any idea

Thanks

Best regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
VDIMega
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever get a resolution to this problem?  I have users that we cannot use Persona/Roaming Profiles/UEM for, and we're finding the same issue with them on 1607.

0 Kudos
NickStreet
Contributor
Contributor

Currently experiencing the same issue. Has there been any resolution? This is occurring not every time, but enough to make the environment unusable at this time.

Win 10 1607 LTSB,OSOT, VMWare Persona, View 7.0.3.

0 Kudos
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have been experiencing this issue on our Win10 sandbox setup. I started another thread about slow logins for Win10 as compared to Win7 and there is mention of the start menu issue in this thread

Windows 10 slow login

We are waiting for the next release of Win10 and then we will give it another go. For now we are sticking with Win7

0 Kudos
InfiniVirt
Contributor
Contributor

This issue has been plaguing me for over a week now, and am hoping someone can follow up to this thread with any pointers.

I am having the exact same issue down to a T.

Has anyone tried creating/copying/renaming a new default profile?

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you please attach your persona log file?

I can quick scan on it to see what was going on.

We didn't observe this issue during test.

0 Kudos
szilagyic
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Same issue here.  And unfortunately, there is not fix for it at the moment.  I just recently applied Windows updates to our golden master image a week ago, and it hosed the start menu yet again.  Msft appears to be continually tweaking something in their OS.  And they no longer seem to offer granular updates, you click Check Updates (online) and all of a sudden all updates are applied without letting us select or test them individually.  In addition, some of the updates cannot be removed.

Fortunately, we clone our golden master before making any changes, and test everything out in a test pool here before we deploy anything or recompose any of our pools and we caught it.  And like you , deleting the Writable Volume (and Windows profile), fixes the issue.  Going around and removing the Writable Volume for every user, is not an option for us.

The second issue we started having after applying these updates is the user will no longer be able to log in to their desktop (it will start the logon process and will disconnect their session and they will not be able to re-connect).  But, I am able to connect to their session using a remote utility like VNC or Bomgar and everything is in tact.  Currently I have a ticket open with VMware on this issue as it only seems to happen to users with a Writable Volume.  FYI.

Yep, Windows 7 was excellent and worked with Horizon very well; Windows 10 has been rough because of Msft changing both the way updates are delivered as well as other minor bugs with Msft and VMware.

0 Kudos
InfiniVirt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help.

I have just recreated the problem by deleting the Persona profile and files, logging into to a non-persistent desktop with Start menu funcional as desired (see log file _"good").

Then, I logged out of the workstation and logged in to a new workstation in the pool. The Persona profile appears to load as I can see the folder on the desktop that I created in the first step. However, Start menu and Search are not working anymore (see log file _"bad").

Thanks again for your willingness to help out.

0 Kudos
h3nkY
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As I mentioned in Jan 9, you need to enable "Roam local setting folders" in Persona policy.

Did you enable it?

0 Kudos
InfiniVirt
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, "Roam local setting folders" has been enabled from the start.

We eventually got around the issue by compromizing a customizable start menu for a read-only one via GPO:

PolicySettingComment
Prevent users from customizing their Start ScreenEnabled
Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commandsEnabled

Thanks,

Jacob

0 Kudos
BuzzBourque
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem and I was able to create a temporary workaround, which can be run by the user having the issue.

I created script that deletes the following folders...

%userprofile%\appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

%userprofile%\appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy

%userprofile%\appdata\local\packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy

Then run the following Powershell commands

Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\AppxManifest.xml"

Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppxManifest.xml"

Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\AppxManifest.xml"

It's worth noting that the folder deletion sometimes fails so make sure all running apps are closed. In my case, Chrome was the cause.

oliober
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

We use Windows10 Build 1607, Non-Persistent Pools, Horizon 7.0.3 and Persona without any Problems.

Before we could say that, we tried many settings.

But somewhere in a forum like this, we found the answer 🙂

We use the following Persona GPO:

- Files and folders excluded from roaming Enabled 

Files and folders:

Downloads

Searches

Desktop

AppData\LocalLow

AppData\Local

- Files and folders excluded from roaming (exceptions) Enabled 

File and folder exceptions:

AppData\Local\TileDataLayer (Importdend)

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Caches (Importand)

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Credentials (Optional)

AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Silverlight (Optional)

- Roam local settings folders Enabled

AppData Folder is redirected.

0 Kudos
krowczynski1980
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi oliober

we also have some problems with Win10 floating Desktops Pools.

Sometimes Edge and IE not working properly and users cannot rename newly created folder.

WIth the settings you mentioned here all your problems gone in Win10 with VMware Persona?

Thank you for your answer.

Arkadiusz

0 Kudos