VMware Horizon Community
knkty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmware Horizon Default Printer keeps changing.

HI,

I have been working on this issue for about 3 months. I did every suggestion and option on this forum but none of them worked for me.

The problem is;

I have some GPOs that maps network printers to the users and they all use different printers so they set the closest one( or which one they want to print) as default. But next logon the default printer turns back to print to pdf.

What i tried;

UEM network printer

[IncludeRegistryTrees]

HKCU\Printers

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts

[IncludeIndividualRegistryValues]

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\Device

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\UserSelectedDefault

Disabled TP Services

Export default printer and import on next logon

Disabled printer redirection

Tried all reg fixes on this forum

I didnt tried all the options at the same time.

I dont have any default printer push policy or anything like that.

I dont want to use gpo or uem printer mapping to set the default printer bc i have to many users in the same department use different printers. I need to create 12-13 printer map policy or uem printer mapping.

There must be a easy thing to do this. I already have Horizon 6 with linked clones and we use windows 7. We never had this issue.

Environment

Horizon 7.7

Uem 9.7

App Volumes 2.16 (Profile only)

Linked Clones (Refresh)

Windows 10 Ent. 1809 / OS Build 17763.504

Clients use teradici zero clients

I am out of options. Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I fought with this for a while to.  I still occasionally have issues with it, and to be honest i've been frying bigger fish and haven't been able to check into the stragglers.

So, when you have a user logout, do you see their default printer set at the bottom of the registry file that got exported (pending they set it correctly before logout)?

If you did, then i have a hacky work around for you.  We are going to import the printer settings again after user login.  The thought behind this is that an appstack or other process is coming along after the original printer import and changing the default.

In your UEM configuration share, create 2 .bat files.

Make one called "launcher.bat".  Inside of it you want to have the following:

START /MIN CMD.EXE /C "\\yourserver\UEM Configuration\printer.bat"

Then you want to create printer.bat containing:

@echo off

timeout 3 /nobreak

"C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\Flexengine.exe" -i "\\yourserver\UEM Configuration\general\Windows Settings\User Printer Configs.INI" -r "\\yourserver\UEM Profiles\%username%\archives\Windows Settings\User Printer Configs.zip"

Now in UEM under user environment select shortcuts.  Create a new one that looks like this:

pastedImage_4.png

The user will see a cmd window launch shortly after login, but it will re-import their printer settings after everything has settled down.  You can play with the timeout in the printer batch file, but 3 seconds seems to work well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I fought with this for a while to.  I still occasionally have issues with it, and to be honest i've been frying bigger fish and haven't been able to check into the stragglers.

So, when you have a user logout, do you see their default printer set at the bottom of the registry file that got exported (pending they set it correctly before logout)?

If you did, then i have a hacky work around for you.  We are going to import the printer settings again after user login.  The thought behind this is that an appstack or other process is coming along after the original printer import and changing the default.

In your UEM configuration share, create 2 .bat files.

Make one called "launcher.bat".  Inside of it you want to have the following:

START /MIN CMD.EXE /C "\\yourserver\UEM Configuration\printer.bat"

Then you want to create printer.bat containing:

@echo off

timeout 3 /nobreak

"C:\Program Files\Immidio\Flex Profiles\Flexengine.exe" -i "\\yourserver\UEM Configuration\general\Windows Settings\User Printer Configs.INI" -r "\\yourserver\UEM Profiles\%username%\archives\Windows Settings\User Printer Configs.zip"

Now in UEM under user environment select shortcuts.  Create a new one that looks like this:

pastedImage_4.png

The user will see a cmd window launch shortly after login, but it will re-import their printer settings after everything has settled down.  You can play with the timeout in the printer batch file, but 3 seconds seems to work well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it helpful? Let us know by completing this short survey here.

knkty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Sabian0309,

Thanks for the reply.

I can export default printers without any problem, actually i tried setting a logon task or a triggered task to import back but somehow it is not importing. maybe it all about timing.

I will try your suggestion and let you know.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
knkty
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi again,

Followed your suggestion. It seems it is completely about timing. 3 secs break fixed the problem.

created a shortcut(startup)and used the batch file i have created before for testing when trying to set logon task and triggered task. It worked as a startup batch file.

Like you said users see a command windows for 3 secs but it is better than setting the default printer every day.

What i did;

Created a logoff task that calls defaultprinterexport.bat

defaultprinterexport.bat

@echo off

reg export "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" \\servername\uemuserprofiles\%username%\defaultprinter.reg /y

Above command exports the default printer in to the user profile folder and overrides the file every logoff bc sometimes users change the default printer when they move to another desk.

created a shortcut (startup) defaultprinterimport.bat

defaultprinterimport.bat

@echo off

timeout 3 /nobreak

reg import \\servername\uemuserprofiles\%username%\defaultprinter.reg

Thanks again

Sabian0309
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Glad it worked for you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cfuguy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I fought this for a wihle and finally stumbled across this. It took no time to setup and works perfect!

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
gurugti
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi there,

Even if I merge the registry key manually, the GUI of Printers does not show the right Default printer (mentioned in the registry key). Any ideas why this might be happening. 

Regards

0 Kudos