VMware Horizon Community
epping
Expert
Expert

Vista for VDI with RDP v 6.0

has anyone tried vista for vdi and downloaded the rdp v 6.0, id like to know if graphics performace is better, will set it up myself just a bit short on time at the mo.

thanks

0 Kudos
20 Replies
williambishop
Expert
Expert

If it weren't for the fact that it consumes resources enough for 4 xp stations, I'd run it more often.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

has anyone tried vista for vdi and downloaded the rdp

v 6.0, id like to know if graphics performace is

better, will set it up myself just a bit short on

time at the mo.

thanks

It works but do not expect to be able to utilise the Glass interface. RDP 6.0 does not make the experience perform any better it just gives you better screen dimensions and depth.

There is some funny statements from MS that the increase in color depth results in a reduction in net traffic but that test model must have been contrived in there own lab is it smells a bit funny Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Say it ain't so! Contrived? Surely you jest?!?!

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It could be like a flip on the old Linux joke when 'Less is More' in MS world 'More is Less'. More colour depth equals less network traffic (refer executive chat for RDP 6.0 on MS site).

The world is flat and there be dragons over the hill!

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

One word....BOB.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
paramd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I haven't compared real bandwidth and performance numbers but I must say the look and feel is much improved. And RDP graphics do seem smooth rather than choppy as compared to RDP on XP.

You get the "span" functionality for multi monitors. Use it with "SplitView" software inside your VM desktop and now you have almost close to real multi monitor support. I've tried it on dual monitors and was happy.

Also, if your local computer can handle Vista Aero, any computer you RDP to also running Vista (natively or in a VM) will automatically have it's UI shown in Aero as well. Even if the remote machine has no chance of ever running it.

If you are planning to install Vista on ESX:

Here is a link that shows what guest operating systems are supported

http://pubs.vmware.com/guestnotes/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=GOS_Install&file=gue...

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

I understood they were working to get rid of the constant network drain of rdp, and use transfers more like ica, where idle is truly idle......

That said, if they get it smoother, I would be happy. Does anyone know when they are going to release rdp6 to xp?

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
ckboon
Contributor
Contributor

>Does anyone know when they are going to release rdp6 to xp?

I may be wrong but I thought I saw it on Windows Update, under the options.

0 Kudos
ckboon
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

that is just the client, to get the improved preformance of RDP6.0 you need to have a RPD 6.0 aware backend, as this is currently only VIsta and the much vaunted and long awaited Longhorn. I can not as yet see any benefit of utilising the client.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

In fact this only installs on any legacy Windows version but XP (SP2) which already includes this client level.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

Yeah, I was aware the client was there, in fact it is in our xp image for esx.....but agreed, without the server component it isn't of much value.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

it does provide 32 bit colour and screen spanning though!

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

wow thanxs for all the info, so would i get improved performance running the rdp 6 client against a VDI XP session (32bit colour would do), or will i only get better graphics performance against vista/longhorn

many thanks

Message was edited by:

epping

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You get a better experience against either if the additional features are required. Performance will still be more dependant on the configuration of the session (experience settings).

Connecting to a Vista guest from a Vista/Longhorn client would allow desktop composition to be supported so you woudl get a better graphics experience through 3D support.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

the down side of this is that the additional overhead of vista. your number of VMs per host would decrease with Vista.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To reply to myself...

Should have probably elaborated, but the Vista 3D support is not available as yet with an ESX hosted VDI solution as the vitrual graphics card is not capable.

the Desktop spanning and colour depth advantages are there though regardless of guest OS (guest who support RDP anyway).

0 Kudos
jjamieson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just an FYI, RDP can be smoother and faster, it's just that the MS RDP client never was any good. If you have used rdesktop, the open source RDP client, and connected to a Windows terminal server (XP or a TS) the response times and speed of graphics is better. It feels a lot more like ICA.

We have about 200 WYSE Winterms that connect to a Terminal Server farm (running on ESX, of course) with plain old RDP and NLB. Some Winterms are the Windows CE variant, others are the WYSE Linux type. The ones that run WYSE Linux (and thus the open source rdesktop) are much more enjoyable to use.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Joseph,

I agree. I heard that.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos