VMware Horizon Community
VirtualSven
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Virtual machines are not recomposed as scheduled when a pool is set to refresh immediately on logoff

When a recompose of a desktop pool is performed, and the pool is set to refresh immediately, desktops with logged on users will not recompose. This is described in the following knowledgebase article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200670...

The give "resolution" is:

Before scheduling a recompose task, set the refresh on the logoff option to Never

When the recompose task is completed for all desktops in the pool, set the refresh desktop on the logoff option to the desired setting.

This is not an acceptable workaround. Will this issue be fixed in a next release?

How do you make sure all your desktops are recomposed when your desktop pool is set to "refresh on logoff"?

Sven Huisman VMware vExpert 2009-2016 Twitter: @svenh blog: svenhuisman.com
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert

The only other workaround is to not schedule a recompose, but to do it "now".

0 Kudos
TimothyBates
Contributor
Contributor

I know what you mean, and this has been a very frustrating issue for those of us that manage multiple desktop pools within a Linked Clone "Refresh immediately" environment. I'm not going to disable provisioning or change the refresh setting of the pools back and forth during recomposes as I still have to babysit recomposes, and this creates a terrible amount of administrative cleanup and maintenance.

To be quite honest, I don't think VMware originally forsaw the amount of customers that would use such features. However, being able to recompose a pool on the fly and not disrupt existing users to push out updates or new installs on master images is to me an incredible feature. We are a Healthcare organization and simply cannot afford to take Desktop downtimes to do this.

I can tell you this, the last time I spoke to support regarding a different issue, I brought this up as well and was told they are aware this is in an issue for some of their customers. Our organization also has someone that sits on the Beta for View and has been hammering on getting some sort of feature in place to set recompose to trump refresh. I know VMware is responsive to such concerns, because one of the things that did come through the last View release that we pushed for was the "Minimum number of ready desktops during Composer Operations" so that recomposes wouldn't just chew through all available VMs in a desktop pool before readying other replacement desktops.

0 Kudos
waynej
Contributor
Contributor

TimothyBates wrote:

I know VMware is responsive to such concerns, because one of the things that did come through the last View release that we pushed for was the "Minimum number of ready desktops during Composer Operations" so that recomposes wouldn't just chew through all available VMs in a desktop pool before readying other replacement desktops.

Unfortunately, this feature does not completely work.  I noticed during a recompose of a pool yesterday that as soon as a VM gets to the final "powering up" stage during recomposing, View will assume that the linked clone is now available and then set more VMs into maintenance mode and recompose them.  Depending on how long the final power-up and agent check-in takes, it could mean a pool is unavailable for use for a period of time on small pools.  Worse, if the VM fails for whatever reason (say your final master prep step was running the wrong script that disabled the firewall and you use HTML Blast) and the task was set to continue on error your entire pool could be unusable due to "Protocol Failure." 

Anyone else notice this behavior?

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

I submitted a feature request.  I suggest you do the same, maybe we can get this issue fixed.

Feature Request - United States

0 Kudos
nzorn
Expert
Expert

Just a followup on this.  I was able to escalate this problem, and have heard that this issue is fixed in the View 6.0 release which is due out in Q1/Q2 of 2014.

0 Kudos