VMware Horizon Community
OrkanNamedMork
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Machine Name Generator - Non Linked Clone Pool

I want to deploy Windows 7 desktops for a full (non-Linked Clone) pool. I want to auto join the domain in a specific OU and have the name of the computer match the VDI desktop naming standard. I've seen lots of VB scripts using netdom.exe but this is very problematic, specifically getting it to work without installing RSAT has been an issue for me.

I can accomplish everything I want with a sysprep .xml but the naming of the computer. Has anyone accomplished this unattended and without using outdated executables?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Why don't you use the naming pattern given by View. You define it and VMware View will follow. it will be easy and simple.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
OrkanNamedMork
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. That's great for naming the VM but how do I carry that name over to naming the computer itself if I'm using sysprep?

0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Out of curiosity can you use Quickprep? It is mush faster and I have tried it and it works fine even with Dekstop Name in AD. You can also use Quickprep without any issues using this method.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
OrkanNamedMork
Contributor
Contributor

I'm wanting to deploy full VDI desktops, not linked clones. As far as I know I can only use quickprep for linked clones.

0 Kudos
Pooran98
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

During the process of creating the "Full Virtual machine" pool I believe you can use the guest customization option and have a specific predefined customization option that will join it to the AD with the naming pattern (n:fixed=??} appended to the computer name.

0 Kudos
OrkanNamedMork
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I could do so. This does not allow for you to choose the OU the system is joined to though. My requirements are;

1. Auto join domain

2. Automatically in the correct OU

3. Correctly named to match the VDI VM name

Neither quickprep or sysprep can accomplish all of these that I can find.

0 Kudos
Rorus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you need to use sysprep, you could import your sysprep settings into a 'customization specification' on the vCenter server, then clone your template (right-click > clone) and then apply your customization spec against that VM. In the customization spec you can specify OS hostname will be, one option in the customization screen is to set it to the Virtual Machine name.

Then just add these VMs to a manual pool.

If you have many of these VMs to make, you can simply use PowerCLI to create them using any names. You could even import a name list from a CSV if you wanted.

0 Kudos