VMware Horizon Community
DavidRiberdy
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Desktops in remote sites

We are looking to deploy 200+ virtual desktops to remote offices and have been testing with the Wyse V10L. Performance seems a little sluggish from them compared to straight MS RDP. The remote sites all use different types of internet connections to VPN to our local site - Cable / DSL / etc. Is there anything that I can do to boost the performance?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

a couple things to keep in mind is the bandwidth on both the remote side and the central side. Because you have a 10MB pipe at your remote site and a 2MB connection at the central site it is going to slow down to 2MB. With that said I am doing something similar but with sites with 3-20 users at them and I removed the VPN and things to run a bit faster than what they did through the VPN connection. I hope this was of some help.

0 Kudos
DavidRiberdy
Contributor
Contributor

How did you change their connection once you removed the VPN? The 250 users are broken up into about 65 remote offices, all VPNing into us.

0 Kudos
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had setup the stand alone VDM at first for configuration and expanded to a security VDM (installable from the same install file). with that then I can map the ports that I want from the firewall and have them point to my security VDM and from there it connects me to my VDI. I have found this good for traveling users so data is not left on their device if it were to get stolen. Some examples are given in the Vmware Load Balancing White Paper & Installation and Administration Guide. I hope this is of good use to you.

DavidRiberdy
Contributor
Contributor

I see what you mean now. I cannot do this as those offices go through VPN devices that connect them directly to us and they cannot use the regular internet for anything.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

investigate a WAN optimisation technology, such as what is available from Expand. these optimise the protocol across the wan by effectively de-duping the packet stream and replacing duplicate packets with a marker. this marker is recongised on the other end and the marker is replaced with a copy of the original data.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos