VMware Horizon Community
MKrantz
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Desktops Cannot Connect/Ping Connection Server

Our virtual desktops cannot ping the connection server by FQDN or IP. Physical desktops can ping the connection server without issue and the virtual desktops can ping other server by FQDN and IP just not the connection server.

Thoughts?

View 4.6

0 Kudos
6 Replies
srnhpp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Make sure that the virtual machine network adapter is enabled and set the network adapter Bridge or NAT mode. I think that will solve your problem.

0 Kudos
Tyomni
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No it will not, as he tolled it connects to other ip but not the Connection Servers, I hadn't this kind of problem, and don't know the solution, but am very interested...

Regards, Tyomni

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think it's a View issue but maybe some type of weird networking issue.    Is there a difference of subnet for the servers that the desktops can ping vs the connection broker which they cannot ping?    No firewalls exist between the desktops and server that could block a connection?

0 Kudos
VIrtuallyJason
Contributor
Contributor

As the poster above noted, please share more information regarding your network setup (are the desktops and servers on different VLANs?  Can you try putting a desktop on the server VLAN as a test?).  When you try to ping your connection servers, do the names resolve to IP Addresses?

Are you using NIC Teaming on the ESX Host (multiple NIC Ports plugged in to the same network for redundancy)?  I've seen misconfigured Teams create all sorts of odd network failure behavior (including being able to ping one IP Address but not another that's a single number off due to the load balancing algorithm directing traffic down a leg that the physical switch is blocking)?

Connection Servers are Windows Servers and as such should respond to pings (unless you've enabled a software firewall to block such behavior).

0 Kudos
MKrantz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for showing your interest and offering some solutions but as it turned out, it was only a handful of virtual desktops that could not ping the connection server. As a point of interest, the FQDN was resolving, it was just the ping that was failing. Anyway...removing the vmnic from the affected virtual desktops and then adding it back resolved the issue. I'm sorry this did not end with a more interesting outcome but it is what it is.

Thanks again for all the interest and responses.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the update. 

0 Kudos