VMware Horizon Community
tosodj
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Desktop - Thin Clients

Hi guys,

I am evaluating to deploy some virtual desktop in my company.

Can you suggest me some brand and model of thin clients to use for my project?

Are there some raccomandations or advices on this project?

thanks

bye

0 Kudos
7 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

if you are not using any brokers than any device will do as they all support RDP.

Wyse, Neoware (Sorry HP) are always a good bet and provide units from Basic to fully featured.

ChipPC provide some inovating solutions in the form of a patch panel unit.

DevonIT and Igel are also pretty good boxes

Some units now have a level of broker integration however I am not too sure which makes and models do.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I really like the NeoWare c50 w/linux OS. You can set it up in 5 mins, and the management utility is real nice. I like it better then the WYSE S10.

0 Kudos
jasonms
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What all about the c50 do you like better than the s10?

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The linux just seems to be cleaner and super easy to setup your RDP,lock it down, and you're done. I also like the management utility, super easy. I just with it was smaller like the S10...You can't go wrong with either.

Stay away from ClearCube.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We originally did a trial comparison of different models from Neoware, Wyse, ChipPC, and a few others. Wyse eventually won out with the V10L for our needs at the time, and is still performing strong for us. If you have the opportunity, I would suggest going through similar trials of your own. Contact your local reps (or reseller) and check to see if you are able to get trial/demo units for evaluation purposes. Typically there's a 30, 60, 90 day type of agreement you can setup. The number of potential future purchases might have some impact on that as well though. Either way, can't hurt to check, and that way you at least get a hands on feel for each option.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
kreischl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Don't forget to test your streaming media requirements. Real, Flash, MPG, MOV, etc. I believe NEC has the best (includes flash?) but nobody supports Real.

0 Kudos
ppushor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why limit yourself to those devices that only support RDP? What about HP Remote Graphics Software (RGS)? It has distinct qualities that RDP doesn't offer which may be suitable or desired in your environment. Better handling of rich media is one such advantage.

---

Patrick Pushor, Enterprise Consultant

Big Hat Group, Inc. ()

--- Patrick Pushor, Enterprise Consultant Big Hat Group, Inc. (http://www.bighatgroup.com)
0 Kudos