VMware Horizon Community
Nevi
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Desktop Manager - New to VDI

Hi,

I am trying to test VDI for my organization. I cant find any docs on how to install/use virtual desktop manager......Is it just an add-on, separate install/download ?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

VDM is a session broker that is offered through VMware Professional Services. Its not available as a download. You will need to work through VMware Sales to arrange getting it installed.

0 Kudos
Nevi
Contributor
Contributor

Oh ok that would explain it. Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

dont use it, its rubbish, you can download a 30 day eval from leostream or there are many other connection brokers out there that i am sure provide evals

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does Leostream give you all the abilities that VDM does?

I mean, does it allows you to invoke "Resource Pooling" of your VM's or is it just giving you the security and "group pooling" ability to you VM's?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Would this help ?

http://www.it20.info/misc/brokers.htm

Notice that the VDM column is not very accurate as it is not a "real product" hence there is no documentation (at least available for the human beings that do not buy VMware services).

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it helps. Thanks

I'm just wondering at what point to do I need a broker or an app (That does resource pooling)? Currently in house I have some PC's, and Thin Clients that directly connect via RDP to specific XP VM's running on one of my ESX servers. I guess I could keep expanding with my current setup, but when is enough???

For remote I'm using a Juniper SSL solution that then connects to the VM's via RDP.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Only you know "when is enough" .... you might go on forever with this architecture ...... others might not even want to start with that.

It really depends. Certainly the rule of thumb is the more vm's you have the more likely you need a pool for better management. But this is not a strict rule.

Consider that a broker would also allow you to achieve "mobility" ... i.e. you can continue to stick users to their vm's but they could login from anywhere transparently.

Massimo.

0 Kudos
Tim_Genge
Contributor
Contributor

I'm probably missing something, but why wouldn't you use Virtual Center / Virtual Infrastructure Client to manage clients? You could also set permissions to groups on your AD and limit access to particular folders in your heirarchy; they could then connect to your Virtual Center server via the web front end.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

No it would be too cumbersome. Also connection brokers provide additional features such as Thin Client integration, they allow you to define pools ....

Last but not least you want to connect to the vm by mean of RDP and not with the remote KVM protocol VMware is using.

Massimo.

0 Kudos
Tim_Genge
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, found this thead now. Consider me enlightened :smileygrin:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=89148&tstart=0

0 Kudos