VMware Horizon Community
vmgdk
Contributor
Contributor

View power options half baked for us

So we are trying to incorporate the "power off when not in use" option for a pool deployment in order to help with overall vDesktop performance. This is a persistent pool.

When we go to get a powered off desktop, the launch of the vDesktop spits out a timeout message. I watch it in VC and the VM powers on all nice and happy and sits there waiting. The launching of the vDesktop through the portal however sits for about 2 minutes telling me to wait, while the desktop launches, then just times out. Now if I try to get the desktop from the pool after the timeout message the desktop launches just fine and it works great. So i have a group of users who will scream and cry if they get a desktop timeout message every time. I can't tell them the work around is to let it timeout and try again.

Any idea how to make the vDesktop a smooth launch from a powered off state?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
asherman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have noticed this same issue. Waiting for a machine to power back on is just too much of a delay, plus the timeout issue happens every now and then. Not good for user-acceptance...

A better option may be to put them in Suspend when not in use. It will be in a ready-to-connect state much faster. Almost as good as having it powered off, at least from a host utilization standpoint.

If you are wanting to reboot the virtual machines for stability reasons, maybe a scheduled reboot in the middle of the night could be a work-around?

0 Kudos