VMware Horizon Community
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View logging is slow with SmartCard

Hello,

I have question for VMware View users. I have implemented View 4.5 (win7 x64) at customer site and they using for logon chip card with certificate. The issue is that logon process is to long. It take about 30-45 seconds and during this is on whole black screen in the middle small block with rotating waiting circle and in the upper left corner button with logon option.. I have tried using PCoIP GPO settings turn down Initial size of picture and problem stay.. When I have tried logon using username/password logon process is finnished with 5-10 secs..

I think taht problem is in communication logon process with certificate in smart card.. Am I wrong? Have you anybody something which could help me?

many thx

JZ

0 Kudos
7 Replies
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What model is the smart card you are using?  How long does login take if you use RDP instead of PCoIP?

0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Adam,

They are using  Java Card ,chip TOP IM GX4 and CryptoAPI. I ahve asked them try smart card logon using RDP protocol, but still without answer.

JZ

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok that's fine, just let me know when you find out the RDP login time with the smart card.  That is the biggest point of comparison we use.

There is one old card we have found that takes about 40 seconds in PCoIP and 20 seconds in RDP and we have a performance fix going into our next patch releases that will speed it up to roughly on par with RDP.  But the main issue is that older cards make many more smart card function calls during a normal login than newer cards and each call needs to be redirected to the client machine.  So if a newer card makes 200-300 cards and an older card makes 1000 calls, that tends to be the reason for the difference.

0 Kudos
ClaudioStocker
Contributor
Contributor

We are experiencing exactly this problem. Very slow SmartCard login, RDP is much faster than PCoIP, username/password is fast. We are using View version 4.6 and Siemens chips. Is this fix implemented into 4.6, and if not, how can i get it?

We are hardly in trouble because of this issue, a solution to this would be great.

0 Kudos
JoeDDfS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Claudio,

We have implemented View 4.6 with no change, login is still slow.  Guys from company supporting chip card working on it, by them -  there is the problem with older chip cards which are in use. New chip cards working faster, but it is not solution. They working on acceleration of application which validate smart  cards..

JZ

0 Kudos
Rob85
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever figure this out? We're experiencing the same problem at a customer site. We're running View 5.1.1, and are using MULTOS smart cards.

A reconnect with username and password takes approximately 8 seconds. With smart card logon the reconnect takes around 25-35 seconds.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MNKrantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue here. We are using Oberthur ID One cards. Running View 5.0.1.

0 Kudos