VMware Horizon Community
Suiname
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View desktops stuck on manual restart after compose

I'm having a problem with provisioning linked clones using VMware view 5 and Win 7 SP1.  During the provisioning process, the clones spin up fine and it appears everything is going well until it gets to the customizing step.  The VMs reach a point where nothing is happening, the status in the desktop pool administrator window says "Customizing."  If I leave the desktops in this state, nothing happens, and when I check each clone in the vSphere console, I can see the desktops are stuck at a prompt saying "restart is required"  If I don't go into each clone and click restart, they will never restart.  Furthermore, even if I do manually restart each desktop, they will stay in customizing limbo forever.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you see this KB,  http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026895? You should be using a KMS server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you using Sysprep or Quickprep?    

0 Kudos
Suiname
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not using either.  Do I have to use one?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah, it should have made you choose one when you created the pool.   The best one to use is quickprep as it's definitley faster and easieser to setup than sysprep. 

0 Kudos
Suiname
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

after waiting long enough, it turns out this may be a windows activation issue.  I get tgus error message "view composer agent initialization state error (16)"  Are there specifics as to what kind of activation key I can use?  I'm a bit confused because I think i used the same key for some other clones which are currently working.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you see this KB,  http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026895? You should be using a KMS server.

0 Kudos
Suiname
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Forgot to mark this closed, but that ended up being the problem.  Once I used the KMS everything was fine.

0 Kudos