VMware Horizon Community
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

View desktops not getting renamed during provisioning

I am trying to run a side-by-side evaluation of VMware View and Citrix Xendesktop but am having issues with both

View details:

View Server 3.1.2 build-188088

View Administrator 3.1.2 build-188088

View Client 3.1.2 build-188088

View Agent 3.1.2 build-188088

I can create the virtual machines and in AD it looks like the machine accounts are getting created but none are available when I connect via the client, when I open a console through vc, I see first a dialog box that indicates there is a duplicate name on the network, and when I finally get logged in using the local admin account I see that the v desktop still has the name of the master image vm I created. I tried removing the vm from the domain, renaming it to the correct name and then rejoining it to AD, I can then RDP into it using a domain account but it is still unavailble as far as view manager is concerned.

The vm's are being hosted on an ESX server running version 3.5 update 4 build 123630, virtual center version 2.5 build 147633

0 Kudos
11 Replies
zilch321
Contributor
Contributor

What type of desktops are you deploying with view? Are you deploying from a template using ESX customization scripts? If so the first thing i'd do is take View out of the picture and deploy a VM directly from Vcenter using the template and your customization file. I found this to be the only issue i've run into during my ongoing eval. The Antivurus/malware software we had on our desktop template did not like the customization process causing all sorts of problems like the one you describe.

0 Kudos
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

No customization scripts are being used. I did do a test deployment of the master template and the cloned desktop worked fine.

0 Kudos
zilch321
Contributor
Contributor

Without customization I would expect every VM deployed to have the same name and same sid as your template.

0 Kudos
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

I expected them to use the parameters established by composer for linked clones, and per comments when setting up the pool customization scripts are optional not required.

0 Kudos
zilch321
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I'm not sure what your issue is. As far as I know linked clones do not use templates, they use the VM Snapshots so I assumed you were not making use of linked clones.

0 Kudos
acampos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Most of the time I have seen issues like this it something in the parent vm that is misconfigured.

Make sure you are releasing the ip in the parent vm before you do the snapshot then deploy from the new snapshot. Confirm parent vm does not have a static ip if so change it to dhcp.

The linked clone vm's should pick up an ip from the dhcp server.

What error does the Pool report in the View Admin page ?

Alex

0 Kudos
Lee_Collison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you can, please give a little more detail on the type of desktops you are deploying, meaning - I am assuming these are Automated Desktop Pools, are they Persistent, Non-Persistent, LINKED CLONES or are they CLONED desktops. Looking at your original post it seems you are not using Composer so that would take away Linked Clones. So if you are using CLONED desktops, it is required to use a customization settings to have these desktops run SYSPREP. The more detail you can give the better we can help.

------ Lee Collison VCP - Enterprise Desktop
0 Kudos
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

I am using linked clones and dhcp is configured. The error reported in view manager is that the customization operation timed out

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

This is most likely an issue with the View agent not being properly installed in your parent VM or not the correct matching version to the View Manager.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Lee_Collison
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to re-create the error you are expierencing by removing the View Agent. You should reinstall the View Agent as Linjo has said in the prior post, it is recommended that you always reinstall the View Agent after any changes (software) to your images.

Lee

------ Lee Collison VCP - Enterprise Desktop
0 Kudos
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the assistance, I was able to resolve the issue by re-installing the view agent on the master image.

0 Kudos