VMware Horizon Community
HendersonD
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

View desktops & RDS hosts in same cluster using same vCenter?

We have 5 ESXi 6 hosts in a single cluster. We have about 200 View 7 desktops delivered with this setup and just brought up our first RDS server to do app delivery. Is it best practice to use the same cluster and same vCenter server for View desktops as well as RDS servers for app delivery?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When looking at Horizon View you do set your VCenter server there and as long as you don't reach max desktops (I believe it is 2000 per pod on VSphere 6 not 100% sure though) i would suggest using 1 Vcenter server.

Also, normally when you buy Horizon (at least as far as I know) you are allowed to use ESX and VCenter for free as long as you only manage servers that are used for that VDI deployment. Because RDS is part of that deployment you can also use the VDI enviornment for RDS without paying for another VCenter.

0 Kudos
ymagalif
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Henderson,

View desktops and RDS applications are both part of delivering end-user computing services. Therefore, they are fine to deploy on a single cluster and vCenter. What is important is to try separating server VMs on a separate cluster from desktop VMs, because those definitely have drastically different access patterns - but you are already doing that.

In addition, you are a small shop where it even makes more sense. If your user count was in the thousands, then you might dedicate a whole cluster solely to RDS. A small to medium environment would just be wasting resources.

Sincerely,

Yury Magalif

0 Kudos