VMware Horizon Community
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

View dekstops and Dynamic DNS updates

As a general practice, I always do a ipconfig /release on the parent VM to make sure its IP address isn't carried over to the clones. When the create the pool and the VMs start up, they are able to get an IP address and their DNS name is registered. However, the new VM has no permission to its DNS record, so it can't dynamically update its DNS record. I have to manully update each DNS record, giving each VMs computer object full permission to its respective DNS record. Obviously, this doesn't scale well. Have I done something wrong in the setup or is this a problem with View 3? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I can't think of a reason for your issue but I've not got this issue in that my XP SP3 VMs register their DHCP aquired addresses quite happily with my DNS servers. Looking at the permissions on a DNS record, the VM's machine account has specific, non-inherited, permissions (Write All Properties, Read Permissions, All Validated Writes). These are in a non-persistent pool and I didn't release the IP address before shutting down the gold image and taking the snapshot that the linked clones are based on. Your master VM was correctly joined to your domain I assume?

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
guyrleech
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I can't think of a reason for your issue but I've not got this issue in that my XP SP3 VMs register their DHCP aquired addresses quite happily with my DNS servers. Looking at the permissions on a DNS record, the VM's machine account has specific, non-inherited, permissions (Write All Properties, Read Permissions, All Validated Writes). These are in a non-persistent pool and I didn't release the IP address before shutting down the gold image and taking the snapshot that the linked clones are based on. Your master VM was correctly joined to your domain I assume?

---

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.

-- If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points.
0 Kudos
hmartin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As I was preparing my response to say that yes, the parent VM was joined to the domain, I decided to do a sanity check. Sure enough, for reasons I can't explain, the computer object for the parent VM was missing. I resolved that problem and re-created the clones and they now have premissions to their DNS records. Guy, I can't thank you enough, but thanks!

0 Kudos