VMware Horizon Community
LUCBFT
Contributor
Contributor

View composer installation

hello,

I 'd like to evaluate the new VDM 3 suite and I tried to install the viewcomposer-1.0.0-126338.exe.

Problem : it's ask me to install microsoft .net 3.0. I suppose it is waiting for framework 3

As you can see on the joined jpg, this server is up to date with .net framework 3 sp1 so ???

Any ideas ?

Thank's.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I suspect this is a known issue that unfortunately was not included in the original release notes - they will either be updated or a kb will be provided. This happens if certain language settings are in place when starting the View Composer installation. If you experience this problem then changing the language settings to English(US) or English(UK) and restarting the installation should work. The language settings can be reverted after the installation as far as I know.

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You must deinstall it and than download a offline installation of MS net 3.0 so it works

I hope you dont get the same problem as me

in the installation Progress you type in your SQL information to connect with it

but if i click "next" i get this error message.

i hope you can help me

thx

0 Kudos
Marco77
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

i have just the same mistake with the Installation of the composer. Do you have an idea oder solution found?

Thank you

Bye

Marco

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there,

are you using an english language Windows OS for the server?

Thanks,

Christoph

0 Kudos
LUCBFT
Contributor
Contributor

Your 're right, if I change my local settings in US, composer installation is OK.

Vmware answer this question here :

It's funny ! this bug looks like HYPER-V installation bug on HYPER-V previous version ! I'm afraid !

0 Kudos
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

oh tanks i try it tomorrow.

No i am from germany and we use german OS

I turn the local settings to english and i than i'll try it too

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi be2k,

Changing the local will not help you. I think you will need an English OS. What you could try is, to create a group called: NETWORK SERVICE. This group is a system group on an English Windows Box and the name will differ from the German name I think.

Thanks,

Christoph

0 Kudos
Marco77
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys

i have just installes the composer on a german windows 2003 server Smiley Happy I have created a group called "NETWORK SERVICE" on the local server and put in the Domain Admin. After Install i have the problem that the service won't start. put in the admin to start the account and all works fine

bye

marco

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

But you shouldn't use an admin account to do that because you would run into an issue if the password for that account changes.

Use a dedicated service account.

Sent with my BlackBerry

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Why did you create a NETWORK SERvICE account, it is a windowsbuiltin account??? aslo do not use Domain admin, for a number of reasons,

a: if it is compromised who ever has done so will have the keys to the kingdom,

b: if is changed the application will stop working

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hey Guys,

i created a "NETWORK SERVICE" account too and give them admin rights so it works like marco says

So i have the same problem as marco with the service it dont start up.

You give the service admin rights ? But how ?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

I repeat why have you created a NETWORK SERVICE account. the documentation relates to the BUILTIN NETWORK SERVICE account the one on the local machine ie the machin you have installed composer on, it is not a domain account.

I repeat you do not have to create one. just use the one on the local machine.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I thin the account has a different name on a german language os.

Sent with my BlackBerry

0 Kudos
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes,

Marco77 and me are from germany. I give him a call and we talk about our Problems and Solutions.

SO here in germany we get 2 Problems with the Installtion of View Composer (i attached 2 pics so you can see it)

I created a new Group with the name "NETWORK SERVICE" and give it the Administration rights of our Domain (maybe the local admin is enough).

so this helps on the first error (see ViewComposer.jpg). Than we get a second error on starting the View Composer Service. Our solution was to give the service as "login as" ".\administrator" and the local Administration Password (the local Administrator was for me enough to start). So now i click retry on the second error message (Error 1920) and the service starts up, maybe you could start the service manually and set it later on automaticly

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Please stop creating accounts or Groups called Network Service, there is abosulely no need to, the service account should be set up to use Network Service this is a builtin MICROSOFT created account on German Language Servers it is called NETZWERKDIENST

if you add the correct account it will start working.

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
ChrisRodriguez
Contributor
Contributor

I have ran into the same issue yesterday, double check that your server has "IIS Admin Service" up and running. That fixed it for me.

0 Kudos
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

so the view composer and his linked clone funktion works very well. I checke tomorrow if a user/group wich called "netzwerkdienst" (in german OS) exist .

i asked my self why the creation of a group which called "Network service" fixed the installtion issue... its a litte bit strange i think. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Moved to the VMware View Manager Forum

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
inno
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I got the same problem. I have a Windows 2003 R2 English SP2 server with english keyboard. I get the message that I have to install Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 in order to install Vmware Composer. On the machine I have this installed:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos