VMware Horizon Community
gmtx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

View client for iOS and Android - any way to disable caching of last pool used?

Scenario:

1. Users on iOS and Android connect to a desktop pool called "Windows 7 Desktop" using the View app.

2. We rebuild the pool - not a refresh - a delete and recreate - using the same pool name.

3. Users connect to the connection server using the iOS or Android app and see a cached icon for the last desktop pool they connected to - "Windows 7 Desktop".

4. When they try to launch a desktop using that icon they get an error message saying the desktop is not available. The only way to fix the problem is to delete the pool icon, reconnect to the connection server, and then select the same (at least to them) desktop pool.

Clearly the mobile clients are remembering a unique ID associated with the deleted pool. Is there any way change this behavior so it operates like the desktop client - querying the connection server for the list of pools each time? While we don't delete pools that often, every time we do we get help desk calls and have to walk users through the deletion/reconnection process on their device. Any ideas on how to avoid this issue? We'd prefer to keep the pool name the same each time we recreate it - again, to avoid help desk calls and a buildup of "dead" cached icons on mobile devices.

Geoff

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SueWang
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi gmtx,

If you create new pool with same Pool ID as before, user can connect to the pool using the existing connection shortcut(cached icon) successfully.

Suggest to reuse the same pool id if you want to recreate the desktop pool.

0 Kudos
gmtx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you are referring to the "Unique ID" attribute in the pool properties, I am using the exact same ID when I rebuild the pool. As I mentioned, it's only the mobile client that has an issue. The desktop client works fine when I recreate a pool with the same ID and Display Name, but the mobile client gets confused and thinks the pool is no longer available, almost as if it's caching some other ID property of the pool for the "Recent Connections" list, not just the "Unique ID".

Geoff

0 Kudos
nloos
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone come up with an answer for this?  I have the same problem.  We are looking at migrating our View Environment to a new vCenter and this poses a big problem for us.  We will have to create new pools on the new vCenter.  Even if we use the same name, it will cause several hundred users to delete the old pool and create the new connection.

0 Kudos