Contributor
Contributor

View client and dump files - how to disable them?

I'm a desktop engineer and looking into the situation that Horizon view client 4.4 can generate a lot of dump files. I noticed these files are stored in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\Dumps as well in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM

These files are around 400-600 mb each and one user had about 40 GB of dump files. Another user has about 20 GB of files.

Is there a way to limit the number of files generated? Or otherwise, to disable the creation all together?

See screenshot below of one user with a number of files in a short period of time

Thanks.

Horizon_Client_DumpFiles_PimKlaui.PNG

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It would not be possible to limit teh size of dump files , its similar to event viewer files which logs the events related to desktops

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just found almost 9 GB of these files on my own VDI client. There must be a way to disable this

0 Kudos
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you may try to create the below registry keys on the client machine and check.

1. Open Regedit
  2. HKLM\Software|Vmware, Inc.\VMware VDM
  3. REG_SZ entries:
    1. DebugEnabled = False
    2. TraceEnabled = False
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone been able to sort this?

We are using Horizon Client 4.5 and we have set those registry settings months ago and the dump files are still being generated. So much so that they are consuming all the disk space on our computers causing numerous other problems.

0 Kudos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can control all the dumps files by configuring the GPO,

1) Import the Horizon client ADMX template.

2) configure Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\VMware Horizon Client Configuration

Maximum number of dump files.

The minimum value could be 0 to clean up and not create dump files.

0 Kudos
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Kishoreg5674

I am a VMware Dev Engineer from Beijing Client Team.

May I know where did you find the GPO?

-----------------------------------------

1) Import the Horizon client ADMX template.

2) configure Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\VMware Horizon Client Configuration

Maximum number of dump files.

The minimum value could be 0 to clean up and not create dump files.

0 Kudos