VMware Horizon Community
Russell963
Contributor
Contributor

View client and dump files - how to disable them?

I'm a desktop engineer and looking into the situation that Horizon view client 4.4 can generate a lot of dump files. I noticed these files are stored in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VDM\Dumps as well in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VMware\VDM

These files are around 400-600 mb each and one user had about 40 GB of dump files. Another user has about 20 GB of files.

Is there a way to limit the number of files generated? Or otherwise, to disable the creation all together?

See screenshot below of one user with a number of files in a short period of time

Thanks.

Horizon_Client_DumpFiles_PimKlaui.PNG

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It would not be possible to limit teh size of dump files , its similar to event viewer files which logs the events related to desktops

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
MaxStr
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I just found almost 9 GB of these files on my own VDI client. There must be a way to disable this

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you may try to create the below registry keys on the client machine and check.

1. Open Regedit
  2. HKLM\Software|Vmware, Inc.\VMware VDM
  3. REG_SZ entries:
    1. DebugEnabled = False
    2. TraceEnabled = False
0 Kudos
SimonWhitfield
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone been able to sort this?

We are using Horizon Client 4.5 and we have set those registry settings months ago and the dump files are still being generated. So much so that they are consuming all the disk space on our computers causing numerous other problems.

0 Kudos
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can control all the dumps files by configuring the GPO,

1) Import the Horizon client ADMX template.

2) configure Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\VMware Horizon Client Configuration

Maximum number of dump files.

The minimum value could be 0 to clean up and not create dump files.

0 Kudos
Jingxiao
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Kishoreg5674

I am a VMware Dev Engineer from Beijing Client Team.

May I know where did you find the GPO?

-----------------------------------------

1) Import the Horizon client ADMX template.

2) configure Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\VMware Horizon Client Configuration

Maximum number of dump files.

The minimum value could be 0 to clean up and not create dump files.

0 Kudos
VPH1
Contributor
Contributor

I found this GPO but you cannot set it to 0, minimum is 2

0 Kudos
keb33509
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but it's about the only relevant one I can find. 

The GPO appears to only be for debug log files, not the .dmp files in the dump folder. Is there a way to do the same for the .dmp files being generated by chance? 

0 Kudos
cscowx
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, did you solve your problem later

0 Kudos
Hogthefun
Contributor
Contributor

Was having this issue as well but worst as we run thin clients with a ~756 MB ram disk with temp files redirected.
One Horizon launch would use half the Ram disk causing low memory issues.
Looks like newer Horizon GPO bundles have this settings seperated into a new policy GPO called "vdm_common.admx/adml".
Applying the GPO with a "0" number of dump logs resolves the creation of these massive .dmp files.
Similar to what @Kishoreg5674 said, the new location of these settings is under:

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\VMware View Common Configuration >
Maximum number of dump files

Bjorns123
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed with Hogtherfum same issue on HP thin client T730. was fresh install with 756mg ram disk opening horizon 8.8.1 would cause our of memory issues. the root cause .dmp files created whan horizon client opens. disabling them solves the issue.

0 Kudos