VMware Horizon Community
Ike10
Contributor
Contributor

View background question

I am testing vmware view and have been askeda simple question by my test users that I can not answer.  How do you change the background on your desktop?  Everytime I try, it says that "the system administrator has disabled lauching of the display settings control panel".  I have checked all group policies and local settings and have not found anything that would disable this setting.  Also users of standard desktops are allowed to change thier backgrounds so I have to assume it is something that View is doing.  I am running View 4.5 with esxi 4.1 update 1 using the PCoIP protocol.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

View is just the framework used to connect to the virtual machines and shouldn't have any impact on changing desktop backgrounds.   In my opinion it would be a permissions or GPO setting that is not allowing the change.  

0 Kudos
Ike10
Contributor
Contributor

I initially thought that but, I logged into the template VM that the desktops were built from and I was able to change the desktop's background but when I logged in using the view client I was not.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not sure whether this is related to your issue, but maybe you want to take a look at Re: View Agent Login Changes Desktop Theme/Background

André

0 Kudos
Ike10
Contributor
Contributor

I just tried this and it did not work either. I deleted the file but it was recreated and I still was not able to change the desktop.

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

View will disable the settings panel inside the desktop VM when connecting via PCoIP, since the display settings should be inherited from the client window settings, but that is all. On XP this specifically hides the settings tab in the display settings control panel, but settings such as desktop background are still available. Likewise for Windows7, the screen resolution setting cannot be changed but all settings under 'Personalization' are fine.

0 Kudos