VMware Horizon Community
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View and direct connect checkbox

Hi All,

View 3.0.1 with View Security Server.

I've probably been surviving with an incorrectly configured server, but a FW update to our Wyse TCs has broken things.

At the moment under the Configuration tab of View I don't have the Direct Connection to desktop box checked and the External URL box is blank. Things have been working okay with this set up.

A security Server has been added under the appropriate tab.

When we upgraded the FW on our Wyse TC's we found needed the Direct Connect to Desktop box checked. When we do this we find that external conenctions to the Desktops now fail. If this is not checked the Wyse fails to connect with "not support tunnel".

With the Direct Connect box checked I can connect through to the DMZ Server, authenticate and see the icon for my available desktops. When I click my desktop it fails to connect.

I'm not completely sure of what's needed in the External URL box, that's part of the Edit Process for the View Server, but I've tried the FQDN plus SSL Port of our DMZ Server. That doesn't work.

We've gone through the firewall logs and there's no deny errors being reported from any of the servers / desktops we believe are involved. And under Events in View the last event is about the successful authentication.

I'm not completely sure of what the "Direct Connection To Desktop" check actually does. As well as not knowing for certain what is meant to be in the External URL box. So any guidance there appreciated.

Any other areas to check?

TIA Rob.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The External URL should contain the URL FQDN for your Connection server (should be a DNS entry). Using direct connect with security server is a bad idea since it means the RDP will by-pass the security server for RDP sessions (3389) which can mean by-passing security mechanisms. Bad idea.

What version of Wyse are you using?

RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried using the FQDN of both the Internal View Server as well as the View Security Server in the External URL and the failure is the same.

We're using the Wyse V10Ls, we have a very early 6.3 release (6.3.0.00) but when we go to 6.3.0.12 or later we start to get the tunnel error. Searches around the net indicated I needed the changed setting to get them to work. If I change the setting, then they work - but I break external access.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You may want to talk with WYSE to see what they have changed since direct connect is a bad idea. Remember that the security server is simply a proxy for the internal server.

Have you tried, using the external FQDN (not internal address), with the View Portal or View client to eliminate it as being an issue with how your SS is setup versus a potential issue with the Wyse (which if it is, it may be worthwhile to let Wyse know of the "bug")?

0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When connecting from outside it has to be the FQDN external address. In all internal cases I've used the FQDN. So if I just use the View Client internally I still use the FQDN of the internal server for access. I've not been using the Portal. Internal access is fine. Internal access via the client works whatever the setting.

That's also true of the Wyse set up. In the ini file, the Connection Broker is listed in its FQDN form.

I'm still not really sure what the External URL under the Editing of the View Servers is for, when it should be used and what it should point to.The documentation barely mentions it.

0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just if anyone is watching / interested / has the same issue, Wyse provided us with some updated firmware that doesn't require the Direct Connection to Desktop flag to be set.

So we're now back and running with updated FW and with external access to desktops working.

0 Kudos
RobBeekmans
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Rob,

could you let me know which update firmware you've got from Wyse.

I'm having the exact same issue and can't seem to find any new firmware at the Wyse site.

hope you can get back to me

greetings

Rob

0 Kudos
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd logged a call with Wyse and it was provided by an engineer - I don't think it's an official release.

The version is listed as: 6.3.0_24.01

The engineer did advise that an final release was due soon.

0 Kudos