VMware Horizon Community
Santi_Julian
Contributor
Contributor

View and PXE Boot for end desktop

Customer is interested to have PXE Boot for end user dektop and so reduce maintenance costs.

Please, anybody has experience to deploy dektops from PXE Boot?

We appreciatte any suggestion.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ralfVM
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo Santi_Julian,

We have good experience in using streaming client technologie for Windows XP clients Using NewareImageManager. Its runs under production enviroments. We use physical diskless clients but we also tested virtual clients. It has a good user acceptance as its a real local OS instead of a remote connection to a shared server.

After Neoware was bought by HP we tested Citrix Provisioning Server (also Known under Ardence). A third solution (not tested) is the citrix own streaming server which should be able to virtualize applications beside the OS. This solutions are at the moment behind the popular solution of View/VDI we also migrate to.Do you have special questions?

Santi_Julian
Contributor
Contributor

Ralf, Hallo from Dubai,

Yes I have several questions.

Do they work in production now?

PXE Boot is for View Manager?

Thanks

Santiago

0 Kudos
Santi_Julian
Contributor
Contributor

Ralf, Hallo from Dubai,

Yes I have several questions.

Do they work in production now?

PXE Boot is for View Manager?

Thanks

Santiago

0 Kudos
ralfVM
Contributor
Contributor

this should not be here!

0 Kudos
ralfVM
Contributor
Contributor

Hallo from Germany,

yes NeowareImageManager is running in production at this moment.

Yes is also possible using virtual diskless clients instead of diskless PCs or flashless thinclient booting via PXE an XP-Image from the streaming server.

The are some special things to be done when you create your first Neoware Master Image (concerning to IDE, SCSI) . But I booted it successfully on a virtual client via pxe.

Is very similar to the way with the golden image an the composer (you do not need in this case). The difference is that diskdata stays on the streaming server which might be virtual or not.

In case of view the template is as diskless Mastermashine with bootoption to PXE.

At the moment when VC starts up the deployed clients, the NeowareImageManager streamed via TFTP and later the NVDD-service the disk to the viartual clients by ethernet. In the Masterimage the viewagent has to be installed (not already tested) to connect the virtual client by the VDM/View Client.

Still questions... no problem

0 Kudos
Santi_Julian
Contributor
Contributor

Ralf,

Thank you very much for all related information. Really it is very useful, but this 3rd party product is for Windows desktops. My customer, now, is thinking in Linux desktops and so to have savings in Microsoft licenses.

Do you have info about this other scenario?

Santiago

0 Kudos
ralfVM
Contributor
Contributor

If you want to save MS$ Licenses you can use a lot of linux solutions (Thinstation etc...).

If you prefer a commercial one in combination with VDI I would prefer LISCON.

They use the Open VDI solution with an Enterprise solution for the Client Management.

It ist very flexibel to OS, hardware and an used connectors. You can use slow/older PCs beside modern Thinclients (HP,. IGEL..

http://www.liscon.com/index.php/en

If your customer does not insist on MS solutions there are much more possibilities (Sun XRay Cliens, Sun Secure Global Desktop, Virtual Box ,XEN Server etc).

But at the end the costs of a client will be very near together, the price for an XP-Prof will not be the mainfact.

Its more a question of acceptance.

0 Kudos