VMware Horizon Community
ChrisLIIT
Contributor
Contributor

View abillites.... questions

Hi All,

I'm new to all the vmware stuff and really only been using workspace.

We are looking at hosting a mini cloud for some of our clients. Offering a remote desktop connection through to a server 2008 R2 desktop. That's sitting on vmware ESXI 5.

So... my questions are really based around the cloud connection side of things.

We are looking at VMware View as the remote desktop enchancer - but will this work externally? Otherwise I am thinking more towards Vworkspace by quest.

Does Vmware view offer the abillity to lock down the amount of disk space and RAM like the vworkspace product offers?

Ideally I want to stay vmware with most things. But i need the abillity to lock down connections and limit processor/RAM/Disk Space.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community -I am not sure I understand the question but yes you can - View will make a connection to a virtual machine that you can size to however you want - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
MooreOrtho
Contributor
Contributor

For remote connectivity View Security Gateway is the preferred method, PCoIP and RDP are your protocol options with PCoIP being the VMware preferred one.  PCoIP = superb graphics but fat, you can do some optimization using QoS and group policy with the PCoIP ADM template.  The gateway brokers the connections to the resources on the back end.

Yes, you can set resources to what you think you may need (CPU, RAM, vdisk size, etc) for your VM.  However, thinking through that part would be wise.  How we do it is to have a "gold" vm for our particular OS (Win 7).  The View utilities (View Management console, view composer, vcenter, vsphere, etc) allow me to take a snap shot of that vm in the state i want it (certain applications, printers, etc) then use that snapshot to deploy a pool of desktops.  The idea is that I can save on disk costs because I only have 1 vdisk (the gold vm's) for all of the other vm's in the pool.  Not sure if that makes sense but the other vm's use that original vdisk instead of creating a separate vdisk for each vm.  You do have a "persistent" disk for each VM in the pool that contains the swap file and any user customizations.  There's way more to it than what I listed and it would be wise to read up on it more. 

If you're familiar with other VMware products like vsphere and vcenter then some of this will be very familiar.  However, it seems to me the similarity ratio between virtualizing servers and virtualizing desktops is 30/70 with 30 percent being similar and 70 percent being different Smiley Happy

0 Kudos