VMware Horizon Community
savoy6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

View Transfer Server Questions

I have a requirement to provision a Transfer server, and my question is, if the user data, such as the My Documents is on backend storage and redirected, when a desktop is checked out to the local laptop, will the user data also be checked out. I do not think it will, due to the architecture of the product, as it is checking out a fresh image. After logging in with the image, there should be access to the redeirected data. Upon disconnection from the LAN, will the data from the redirected folders still be available on the checked out image on the laptop? I will test this, but wanted to know if anyone else has had this experience.

Thanks,

Savoy 6

Did you power down the VMs before the storage?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you need an offline desktop you shouldn't redirect the user's documents, etc.  Now, if you absolutely have to, you can use offline folders and redirect their documents as you have been.  But do so with caution as enabling this for all your virtual desktops would cause a huge burden to your storage.  It would increase the IOPS quite a bit because it would try to cache all the offline folders for the users documents when the logon.

Try our VMWare View Demo on www.virtualdojo.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you need an offline desktop you shouldn't redirect the user's documents, etc.  Now, if you absolutely have to, you can use offline folders and redirect their documents as you have been.  But do so with caution as enabling this for all your virtual desktops would cause a huge burden to your storage.  It would increase the IOPS quite a bit because it would try to cache all the offline folders for the users documents when the logon.

Try our VMWare View Demo on www.virtualdojo.com
0 Kudos
savoy6
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking that setting up customers to use the offline feature with the Transfer server funtionality is going to require a little planning to identigy the user base, configure the settings, plan on when the offline desktop will be available and when the user will need this. I will post my solution when I get there.

Thanks again,

Savoy6

http://vmmojo.wordpress.com/

Did you power down the VMs before the storage?
0 Kudos