VMware Horizon Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View Snapshots Different than Servers?

So I have a gold image with a snap that is presented to my pool.  I wanted to test a different antivirus so I took a new snap, installed the new AV, took another snap.  I created a new pool, presented the gold image and the last snap I took.

When the desktop comes up after deploying it the new AV is not there.  If I boot up the last image and log in the AV is there. I thought this is a prime example of why View is good, to test software and be able to roll back to a previous snap if it broke something.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

The procedure I take is.

1:  Boot up gold image.

2:  Add AV

3:  Clean gold image by doing a ipconfig /release, shutdown, create new snapshot.

4:  CLick on a specific VM, select recompose and pick new snapshot for testing.

5:  Once tested I will go into pool properties and set default image to the new snapshot.

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok.  I was starting from scratch in a new pool with a new desktop using say, the 3rd snap or something.  So what you're saying it, once you test with this new recomposed desktop and it works, you then commit the snaps, take a new one and tell the pool to use this new image/snap?

I'll do more testing in the mean time...

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So I tend to keep previous snaps around for a couple of weeks before I commit in case a problem isn't discoverd off the bat.    I will commit one at a time but I never commit the one I just took, and then resnap it.

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm so confused.  I have a base image.  Took a snapshot, tested VM and all works.  Took another snap, did not remove the last one, installed new AV, reconfigured Pool to use this new snap.  Booted new VM that was deployed with these changes, the AV I installed wasn't there...

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Took another snap, did not remove the last one, installed new AV...

You need to take the snapshot which you want to use for the clients after installing the software. This way the changes are included in the snapshot.

André

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ugh, I think I knew that but I am reaching a pretty high frustration level and not thinking clearly.  Thank you...

0 Kudos