VMware Horizon Community
NDimopoulos
Contributor
Contributor

View Setup

Greetings everyone,

I am new to this so bare with me please.

My idea is to set up one machine that will have say 2 virtual machines in it. 2 users in the company would then 'connect' their thin clients to each of those virtual machines.

Now I was told that VM View is what I need to be looking at (correct me if I am wrong).

I downloaded everything there was in the evaluation section and started reading the relevant guide which was cryptic at best.

For starters I had to install ESX on the server that would host the virtual machines.

Then I had to install the vSphere client on my notebook and connect to the server so that I can create virtual machines. Because this is a test installation want a new domain. So I created a Windows 2003 server VM and promoted that as the PDC of my new domain.

I created another Windows 2003 machine and installed in it the vCenter.

A third Windows 2003 machine was created and the connection manager was installed in it.

I created a Windows XP virtual machine and installed the Agent in there.

I have set up the IP of the vCenter in the connection manager.

I have installed the View Client on the notebook which will act as the thin client.

Now the manual is not what I see on screen. It references that one can take snapshots from VMs and set them up as templates. I cannot do that since the relevant options do not exist in my menus. Is it because this is an evaluation version? The way I used to clone machines was to export the machine on my notebook and then import it again in the server through the vSphere client.

Also it appears that vCenter should have a listing of my Windows XP machine which it doesn't. vCenter doesn't list anything - only a Datastore entry and everything else is empty.

I am doing something wrong but I cannot figure out what since the guide does not correspond to what I am looking at.

Any pointers would be more than welcome.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NDimopoulos
Contributor
Contributor

One more piece of information - when I log into vCenter to see the datastores, I cannot see any.... 😕

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Have you added your ESX host into vCenter? You need to do that and then you can create your template on the ESX host for deployment through VMware View.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

NDimopoulos
Contributor
Contributor

I could not see anywhere the option to add the ESX on the vCenter.

In the end I decided that my installation is not correct. Therefore I deleted all the VMs and am starting from scratch!

Thank you for the answer Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, after you get vCenter setup you should be able to right click at the root in the vi client and create a new datacenter. Once datacenter is created you can create a HA/DRS cluster or add a stand alone host. Let us know if you have problems when you get there.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

NDimopoulos
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you again for the pointer.

My installation will take quite some time since I am installing everything over a VPN and getting the Windows 2003 server to install over the Internet takes time Smiley Happy

Quick question here. I am thinking of setting up the windows 2003 server (not promoting it yet to AD) and getting all the updates on it. Then I want to clone that server 2 times. The 3 VMs will become the PDC of the domain, the VCenter server and the VConnector server.

Is there a way to log in to the ESX via SSH and 'clone' a VM that was just created? The way I did it in the past was from the vSphere client -> Export/Export OFV template and then Deploy OFV template. As you can imagine 30Gb image over the VPN will take until Monday (my Internet line is slow).

Thanks!

0 Kudos