VMware Horizon Community
jdre2134
Contributor
Contributor

View Setup onsite/colo

Hello all,

We have been running a pilot now for the last few weeks and found that it has been running pretty well in our test environment.  We are starting to give serious consideration on making plans about how to move to a production solution.  I have a couple of concerns\questions that I would like to close out before we talk about finalizing anything.  We are most likely going to host all of our a equipment in a data center also.

One of our concerns is the time it would take someone to download an image for a local mode desktop.  Often some of our employees have to venture to places that do not have an Internet connection so this is a necessity.  We don't want them to have to wait a long time to download the image from our data center.  Is it possible to host the connection and transfer server at our local building and house a replica connection server at our data center for fail over purposes?  Would this alleviate the amount of time it would take them to download the images, or is there another solution I should be looking into?

Basically I believe our architecture would look like this:

Onsite:

1 host running connection and transfer server

Data Center:

2 hosts + SAN

Runs desktops, vcenter server, security server, replica connection server

Also, lets say the unthinkable happens and our data center is gone, where can I get some ideas about what I need to do or have in place to ensure that I can bring our view environment back up in a timely manor?  What are some backup solutions I can put in place so that my users can still function during that time as we are a 24/7/365 company.  I am fairly new to vdi and just need some ideas.  We are a fairly small environment and I expect 60-70 concurrent desktops at most.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

1:  On page 275 of the VIew Admin guide it details how to manually download a image when working in areas with poor network connections.

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/view_pubs.html

2  You would need to make sure you have a backup of vCenter, View Composer database, and Adam database on View connection broker.   Those would be the main things.  You could also do full image backups of  Security server, connection, and transfer server.

0 Kudos
jdre2134
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response,mittim12, I will look into that. 

0 Kudos