VMware Horizon Community
rshahen
Contributor
Contributor

View Server and Agent Issue

I have just installed View Standard Connection Server 6.1.0 build-2509221 on a Windows 2012 R2 server.  The Windows 2012 R2 server is running as a virtual machine on ESXi 5.5.0.  Additionally, I just installed the View Agent version 6.1.0 64 bit on a Windows 7 workstation that is also running on the same ESXi host. The View Server is licensed for desktop and application remoting.  I want to use the Windows 7 virtual machine as an unmanaged machine as I am not running vcenter.  The problem I am having is the Windows 7 machine that has the View Agent installed is not showing up in when I try to add a manual desktop pool in the View Connection server administration.  Any ideas why the workstation is not showing up as a valid machine to be added to the manual desktop pool?  Please help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

When installing the agent inside an ESX VM, it's assumed you intend to actively manage it. You can use an installer switch to force it to install in unmanaged mode instead: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102722... Mike

0 Kudos
rshahen
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that.  The switch setting is now allowing me to see the Windows 7 virtual machine in the View Connection Server administration console.  I do have one more question.  When I ran the agent installer, I did chose the option for USB redirection but when I connect to the Windows 7 virtual machine from my Wyse terminal, I am not able to see USB drives when I connect them to the terminal.  Should USB redirection work for unmanaged virtual machines? 

Long story short, my company is a VMware partner and we are trying to sell the View product to a Dr's office who has only 5 users.  He has already purchased the Wyse terminals and Windows licenses.  I won't be able to sell him the View solution if I am unable to get USB redirection working. We have already built the 5 Windows 7 virtual machines in his environment that the users have been working on with a simple remote desktop connection for a couple of months.  We cannot rebuild these virtual machines as the users already have them configured to their liking.  We simply want to allow the thin clients to connect to these existing machines with the ability to connect a USB drive to the Wyse terminals.  Please advise.

0 Kudos